D&D 5E When lore and PC options collide…

Which is more important?

• Lore

• PC options

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Which is more important: preserving the lore of a setting or having the full range of PC character creation options?

For example, in the lore of Dragonlance between the Cataclysm and the start of the first novel there are no true clerics. Likewise, there are no halflings, orcs, changelings, tieflings, dragonborn, etc.

So which is more important: preserving existing lore or the full range of 5E PC character creation options?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Lore, definitely lore! Half the time in my homebrew I don't allow some races, classes or subclasses.

Others might argue it detracts from the "fun of the players" but I will counter that with "it detracts from my fun otherwise" and frankly, I play DND primarily for me because I enjoy it. I am not going to run a game I won't enjoy running.

Last edited:

Which is more important: preserving the lore of a setting or having the full range of PC character creation options?

For example, in the lore of Dragonlance between the Cataclysm and the start of the first novel there are no true clerics. Likewise, there are no halflings, orcs, changelings, tieflings, dragonborn, etc.

So which is more important: preserving existing lore or the full range of 5E PC character creation options?

I voted PC Options but, IMO, it really is something to be established, perhaps through some compromises, at session 0. If the table is on board with the limitations of the lore, run with it. If a few of the players are really itching to play the thing they haven't before, even though it "clashes" with established lore, run with it.

TL;DR: Kinda cliche of me to say "whatever is most fun for the table" but... there it is.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Ultimately, it depends. Sometimes we play games with a full slate of options because there's no reason to limit them. But for situations in which we DO pick something a bit more restricted, lore wins. And that would be the point of running a Dragonlance campaign, or a Star Wars scum and villainy - No Jedi campaign. If we're choosing something with a particular lore-heavy character to them, why would we undermine it by not embracing its character?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

There's more than just these two poles available to us.

I have very little care that "all the options" of the PHB be available in every setting. The PHB is not a setting-straightjacket. I merely care that there are sufficient options that my players can find cool characters that they would want to play.

That said, I am also flexible. I am okay saying, "This is Dragonlance, so no orcs or clerics." However, if someone came to me looking to play a dragonborn and they were willing to work with me on the background of that character, I expect we could make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases