When the New Edition Doesn't Cut It

MGibster

Legend
I'm usually pretty stoked when I game I like is coming out with a new edition. And why wouldn't I be? If the new edition of the game is going to improve something I already love then what's not to like. Of course that doesn't happen all the time and on rare occasion I just don't care for the new edition of the game.

The first time this happened was way back in 2000 with the release of Legend of the Five Rings 2nd edition. I had fallen in love with the 1st edition of the game when it was released in 1997 and was excited to purchase the new edition by quickly disappointed when I read the rules. It wasn't all bad. In the 1990s, splat books were king, and a lot of the rules for making characters from different clans was found in the Way of the... series of books, 2nd edition consolidated many of the rules meaning I didn't have to lug around 7 extra books to game night. But, for reasons that escape me to this day, they changed the way you roll skills. In the original version, you rolled your Trait + Skill and kept a number of dice equal to your Trait. i.e. If I had a 4 Strength and a 3 Wrestling I would roll 7 dice and keep 4. For second edition, you just roll the Trait and keep the Skill. So that same character would roll 4 dice and keep 3 of them.

More recently, I had the opportunity to run a Cyberpunk Red campaign, and the generally consensus among my group is that it isn't a very good game. For a little background, I absolutely loved the hell out of Cyberpunk 2020 back in the 1990s, and I had been looking forward to a new edition of the game for a number of years. (Cyberpunk V3.0 isn't something we talk about.) Of course I picked up the video game Cyberpunk 2077, and was super stoked to learn Mike Pondsmith was creating a new version of the classic and moving the timeline along. Probably my biggest problem with Cyberpunk Red is that I don't particularly care for the setting, the economy doesn't make sense, and some of the choices they made regarding rules leave someting to desire.

It's nearly impossible even to have an automobile as they are prohibitively expensive, but if you're character has the role of a Nomad they at least have access to a car. In a game where style is supposed to be more important than substance, having to walk or take the bus to your highly illegal mission is kind of a bummer. And there's a cognitive dissonance between the art, much of which presents your typical cyberpunk cityscape with cars, cyberware, etc., etc., with a setting where you have to go to a special night market (black market) just to buy a regular rifle or pistol. I want to run another game of Cyberpunk, but I'm going to use the rules from way back in 1991.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I sympathize. With T&T back in the news, it reminded me that the latest edition (Deluxe) is the first edition since 5th edition that didn't completely disappoint me. The Fiery Dragon edition in the little tin (7th Edition, I believe) was especially underwhelming for the price. The booklets were cheap-o spiral bound stuff that, frankly, my local copy shop could've done better. I remember opening that box and immediately feeling like I had wasted my money.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've rarely had a game I really cared about crash into the wall thoroughly in a new edition. At worst they've made some decisions I didn't like but could move on from. I'm more likely to decide, over time, that I just don't like a game system in general or have kind of moved on from it.

delericho

Legend
It was 4e for me.

I played a bunch of Shadowrun back in the day, and it was good fun. We moved to 2e, and it was an improvement - a bit more complex, but that brought a bunch more options. Then there was 3e, which had much the same core but had reached a point of sorely diminishing returns.

Sadly, I played one game of 4e, and it stands as one of the single worst RPG disasters I've ever faced.

I haven't, and won't, touch Shadowrun again. I might be tempted, if I could find a copy of the rules for one of those first two editions, but nothing more modern appeals at all.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
I honestly can't say I can name any game that ever needed another edition. It's always either:
  • A) A completely different game that is tied to the previous one loosely at best, if not at all
  • B) A minor revision that could've just been an erratum

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I always skip editions it seems! It’s now a tradition.

I was a 1, 3 (not 3.5!) and 5e guy…with ONE approaching I may again be at a crossroads.

I don’t necessarily have to keep up with the joneses but I do lament sort of being left out of the conversation when this happens.

So far with the Playtest I am pretty lukewarm on ONE changes. For maybe the first time I might be half in and half out and steal good parts if it really compatible!

But it’s with mostly mixed emotions that I ignore an edition of a game I like…

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Cyberpunk V3.0 isn't something we talk about.
Whatever do you mean?

dollpunk.png

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I sympathize. With T&T back in the news, it reminded me that the latest edition (Deluxe) is the first edition since 5th edition that didn't completely disappoint me. The Fiery Dragon edition in the little tin (7th Edition, I believe) was especially underwhelming for the price. The booklets were cheap-o spiral bound stuff that, frankly, my local copy shop could've done better. I remember opening that box and immediately feeling like I had wasted my money.
Wasn't 7th edition the one like, illegally published by that one guy in the UK and not Flying Buffalo, IIRC?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases