D&D General When you continue playing after a multi-month break (tips needed)

So I am the DM of a campaign that has stopped during the summer months (DM and players were all on holiday). It's a relatively new campaign we play: We will play session #6. (Homebrew campaign, newbie players, btw).

I want to start up the game with a little recap:
  • First players say what they remember, and what their characters are doing (which they may not remember because nobody takes notes).
  • Then I'll summarize the storyline (because I did take notes after every session), and end the summary with a description of the location where the PCs find themselves.
Any other tips how to get the story going again smoothly after a long break?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
My Starfinder campaign had to stop in August 2020, and we started again in July 2021.

Just like you did, when I arrived at the first new session, I had prepared a recap of my own. Told my players to bear with me and took a solid six or seven minutes to go over what happened, putting extra emphasis on plot important points. Also told them to speak up if I forgot anything.

I asked everyone to go over their inventory and share any interesting objects they might have to remind everyone. That worked very well.

I also had a first scene that was very prepared. The way things had ended, they were about to enter one place. So I gave it all I had, it was a bit more controlled that I generally like to run things. But I had some cool NPCs, mannerism and a new job for them. It got them immersed real quick and got these roleplaying engines going.

I'd say that a quick recap like you have planned of what they were doing, what the goal and threat were, and where they last left off is key. But along with information, you also need to build momentum and excitement. If they enjoy combat, get to a cool fight quickly. If they prefer social encounters, get a really meaty one of those in front of them. If there are any NPCs they really liked, get them on the scene somehow. A recap tells what they were doing when they last played, but excitement reminds them of why they were playing.

jgsugden

Legend
I give it two sessions to get them back in the swing of things. The first session is a mini 'stand alone' adventure (in that it does not advance any existing stories) that reminds them of the story elements that they experienced prior to the break that are relevant.

For example, a nobleman might approach the PCs and ask them to help them with his problem. He explains that he heard about what they did in Session 1, and how that is relevant to the current situation, but he was nervous about approaching them given the trouble they experienced in Session 3, as being associated with that might put his reputation at risk.

Then, we pick up the next session with another recap of sessions 1 to 7 and ready for the plot to move forward.

Hey all, thanks for the great feedback!

[...]
I asked everyone to go over their inventory and share any interesting objects they might have to remind everyone. That worked very well.
[...]
This is a great idea that I will certainly use.
I'd say that a quick recap like you have planned of what they were doing, what the goal and threat were, and where they last left off is key. But along with information, you also need to build momentum and excitement. If they enjoy combat, get to a cool fight quickly. If they prefer social encounters, get a really meaty one of those in front of them. If there are any NPCs they really liked, get them on the scene somehow. A recap tells what they were doing when they last played, but excitement reminds them of why they were playing.
Good advice. I will plan for an encounter that forms a major threat to their pet. That'll motivate them, and then have a quirky NPC that hte players like make an appearance.
apocalypse world love letters

D'oh... Wrong thread
Not as wrong as you think. I had to investigate it a bit, but having the players roll some dice to see what effects they get for the start of the session may be quite fun.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
("Wrong Thread" is because I posted a big reply about the West Marches and then deleted it... :p )

The thing I like about Love Letters is that it gets the players playing right away, and that gets them engaged and thinking and motivated to remember what was happening. So to me, the "pick your poison" part of the Love Letter is more important than the rolling part. But if I were porting these to D&D, I'd of course include some rolling because rolling is fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases