Where can I get race construction guidelines?

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I've seen articles out on the net for creating balanced classes, monsters, spells, etc. What I'm looking for are some guidelines as to what would balance out playable races- what feature is worth what, how much a race gets before it crosses into LA territory, etc. Can anyone help me out?

Samothdm

First Post
Years ago there was a thing online called "RaceCalc" and "ClassCalc" that did basically what you're talking about. The sites have been taken down but I think I may still have the download of the database somewhere. E-mail me at samothdm at yahoo dot com and if I find it I'll send you a copy.

Emiricol

Yeah, I was a little saddened when those tools went away :( There was also a spreadsheet that I've since lost all track of, but not sure who put that out. Does EN World still have a downloads section? If so, might check there. (too lazy to look, but used to be tons of cool tools there.)

Samothdm

First Post
That link leads to basically the same exact thing that I had from the old RaceCalc site. The only difference is that the old site had a pull-down menu of all of the races in the PH as well as races in FR and I think some other books and if you selected one, it filled in all of the modifiers for you automatically - the bonus being that if you only wanted to make a slight tweak to an existing race, you didn't have to go through and fill out everything yourself.

Other than that... I think that's what you wanted.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Thanks for the help everyone, I remember ClassCalc and this is the sort of thing I was looking for. Samo, I've sent you a mail from my gmail address, thanks for the offer.

Douane

First Post
Byrons_Ghost (and for everyone else interested),

I've attached the ClassCalc and RaceCalc files I saved way back, packed as a .rar file in a .zip file. (The board only takes zip and and zip itself seems to change/disrupt the files, so I had to rar them first.)

Hope this helps!

Folkert

Attachments

• Calc.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 60

Remove ads