Where do good dragons get the treasure they hoard?

Angcuru

First Post
You don't think they use all their spells for nothing do you? :) Bored, why not wish for a Nine Lives Drinker, Holy Avenger, or Super-Duper Wand of Cave Cleaning. :p

tarchon

First Post
I've always seen "good" as being a relative term with dragons, like a "good" dragon collects "gifts" when you walk through its territory, while an "evil" dragon just kills you and takes everything.

One would also assume that they could...

Craft some items themselves.

Gifts from GREATER beings, when the dragon defeats a great evil.

Take humanoid form and adventure.

Take humanoid form and wed, gainning the inheritance.

Be entrusted with evil artifacts, from "evil" magical toothpicks, (damn superstitious farmers), to a talisman of ultimate evil.

With age and curiosity, a dragon could have quite a library of spells, even if unable to cast them all. A complete work of every Wizard, Cleric, Druidic, and Bardic spell would equal dragon size bragging rights.

Trade for items that other spellcasters create for a chance to browse said spell collection.

Coin is a humanoid invention. Simply finding a cave lined with veins of silver and gold, them altering the cave to bring them out in all ther natural glory would be quite beutiful. It would probably mean more to a good dragon than a lump of gold bits with dead human kings on them.

Friends. Any creature as longed lived as a dragon, yet cautious about relations with its own kind, would value friends above all. A dragon finds comfort on the road in the home of a decent average halfling, and over the years they become friends. He then becomes friends with said halflings children, and so on and so on. After a couple of generations, he may well have seen the birth of every living person in the village. It would not be hard to imagine Gandalf as such a wandering dragon.

Odd circumstances. I just had a thought about a really bored dragon sitting on a pile of gold bits depicting dead kings. He looks over and notices the flimsy little rod of wonder he somhow got talked into taking as a trade. Just to see why some deranged little wizard would craft such a thing, he picks it up and activates it.

Then he does it again.

And again...

And again...

After a few solid days of boredom, who knows what that thing could spew out. :p

tarchon

First Post
Party: "Wow, look at this haul - it'll take us days to carry this back to..."
DM: "Suddenly, a shadow falls over you, and a great stir of wings scatters loose brush all around as an enormous dragon lands in front of you!"
Party: "No way - we're only 4th level! What color?"
DM: "Its scales gleam of gold."
Party: "Aw, whew, he's probably just here to congratulate us on killing the evil necromancer."
Dragon: "Howdy' y'all - say, that's a pretty big pile of gold y'all got there."
Party: "Yeah, we just slew the evil necromancer."
Dragon [whistles]: "That so? He was pretty evil."
Party: "Er...he sure was. Heh."
Dragon: "Good riddance, though... it is too bad he bought the farm before he paid me back..."
Party: "Back?"
Dragon: "Well, his skeletons tore up my whole orchard, drove off all the game, you know... I was figuring [looks over pile of gold] he owed me 5 pounds of gold anyway, damages and all."
Party: "Well, couldn't you have just taken it?"
Dragon: "I was thinking about doing just that as I was passing by, and then I saw y'all here... and you know, seeing as we're on the same side and all... we are on the same side, right?"
DM: "His pupils narrow to scimitar-like slits."
Party: "Sure! Absolutely! 5 pounds you say?"

Driddle

First Post
Government grants and subsidies. One healthy adult dragon can single-handedly drive an entire economy for a 100-mile radius. But that takes seed money for lair construction, enticements (hiring bards to write songs and tales), virgin maiden insurance and the like.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Good dragons eh? I'd say that they may take out humanoids. After all, with the rate those orcs breed, someone has to keep them down.

Dragon hunters would be another good source of revenue.

Some may be worshipped as gods or near god like entities and gain those funds.

On one note, it might be interesting to see a dragon mercenary. "Ah, Lord Silversparrow, it is sad to see those hordes of hobgoblins marching through your lands. If only you had a protector..."

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
Don't forget shipwrecks! Dragons could easily salvage the lost cargo from sunken ships. Good Dragons near the coast may also attack pirates or evil warships that venture too close, collecting stolen trade goods, swag, and/or valuable armaments.

Remove ads