• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where Do I Go From Here?

Alkaline13

First Post
Hello everyone,
I've recently purchased the "red box" for D&D, the DM starter box, a Player's Handbook, and Monster Manual. I've always had an interest in learning and playing the game... but could never find a group near me, or could never convince my friends to make the leap with me.

I guess my question is.. where do I go from here? I'm really interested in building a character and killing monsters/solving puzzles with a team of other heroes!

Any help would be great!

knightemplar

Explorer
You might want to try Gamers seeking Gamers on the top menu and see if any gamers are close to you. You could also try the Talking the Talk forum to play by post (pbp) and see if any of the games are currently recruiting.

Another option is to see if there is a gaming store near you that would allow you to post an ad to find someone to play with.

nedjer

Adventurer
Maybe try some of the RPG Facebook groups as well as GSGs. Otherwise, just coerce anyone with the slightest geek tendencies - they know they want to try the game once, so if you make the first game easy, fun and just the slightest sprinkling of badwrongfun they'll want to play more.

What's happening with D&D Next may also be of interest, e.g. the forthcoming playtest, as players who are new and unsure about whether or not they want to play can take a bit of time to acclimatise to larger rule sets.

Wik

First Post
There are PLENTY of play by posts here. HOWEVER, I find that PbPs, while they can be a lot of fun, are not the best way to get into the hobby. They lose some of the table-talk part of things, and for newer players, the incredibly slow pace of play by posts is daunting - not to mention that the sense of experimentation usually goes out the window.

(The inability of PbPs to accomodate experimentation is what lead me away from them, in fact).

Finding "virtual tabletops", often run through skype, is a better option, because you can still game multiple encounters in a single night of play. While it still lacks the feel of a "real" table, there's a lot to be said for this type of play if you can't find a group.

But really, finding a group isn't as hard as you may think. I have found groups in a town of less than 10,000 people in the wilderness of west coast B.C. And I've found them in big cities, too. Really, the trick is checking out things like craigslist, facebook, and various internet sites, and willing to try out new things. The game is ultimately a social game, and you need to approach it in that vein - and you'll find other players!

Personal advice? Find your other "nerdy" friends and start asking around there. It's not perfect advice, but you'd be amazed how often it works.

And have fun with the game! Remember, if you don't like a rule... change it. :)

Alkaline13

First Post
I have a friend who is willing to play, but a group of 2 doesn't sound like the most exciting adventuring party :D plus we are both new to the game, so I'm not sire how comfortable I am on the DM capacity. I will have to take a peek on various sites like you all suggest.

What about joining a new group and feeling not feeling them? I'm a very shy person when it comes to meeting new people/ branching out.. so its tough sometimes for me to meet new people and not feel awkward. That and being a brand new player, makes me feel like its a recipe for certain doom!

Years ago I attempted to join a group to play in a 3.5 campaign. The group was very nice and local - but filled with OBVIOUS veterans to the game. They all knew what was going on and I felt so flustered that I never went back for a second session. It was really intimidating trying to RP, but have no idea what people say or do (if that makes sense).

Do you guys remember that feeling when you started? If some of you can remember that far back :D as I'm sure there are loads of veterans gamers here

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I started with others new to the game back as teenager so it wasn't really an issue.

I know what you mean though, being on the autism spectrum I'm shy of new people as well. And despite playing for a long time and GMing more than playing as it seems, I am still unsure of the numbers because I have discalculia. So I usually appoint someone in the group as stats/numbers assistant. :blush:

Remove ads