Where Do They Get Their Literacy?

Today I bring up a topic usually glossed over in worldbuilding for gaming: Literacy. It’s a skill that we take for granted, given that you are reading this column on a website. Literacy wasn’t always historically widespread, however, and a crafty GM can contrive clever situations hinging upon it.

Today I bring up a topic usually glossed over in worldbuilding for gaming: Literacy. It’s a skill that we take for granted, given that you are reading this column on a website. Literacy wasn’t always historically widespread, however, and a crafty GM can contrive clever situations hinging upon it.

The simplest and most straightforward ploy is of course confronting PCs with a puzzle that requires reading to solve. While it’s not strictly a D20 systems game, the Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing game does in fact account for literacy in its profession systems, and some of the more combat-able careers do not grant the player character literacy. This gives the party a decent reason to keep that scribe around, and of course the player with literacy might not be telling the entire truth with regards to messages they read and translate for the party.

The situation of literacy is often more complex than just a literate/illiterate split. Take, for example, Greek and Latin being used as academic languages. A tradesman would be able to read, write and keep his ledger, but he might not actually be able to read and understand treatises.

Writing systems can also compound the issue of literacy - Mandarin Chinese uses logograms instead of an alphabet or an abjad. Learning to recognize 2000 words places a user at functional literacy, and 3000 characters will allow a user to read a typical newspaper. Scholars may have to memorize up to 10000 characters to be conversant in their fields.

A writing system like this places a high burden upon learners, and the Korean emperor Sejong developed the Hangeul alphabet to improve literacy rates through the lower classes, and designed it so it could be taught with little education required. Hangeul was suppressed by succeeding Joseon-era emperors, and eventually by the Japanese, who colonized Korea in a forced occupation from 1910 to 1946, but it is presently the official writing system of both Koreas.

Other issues may prove an obstacle even for literate characters. Writing systems and spelling change over time, as students of Chaucerian English will no doubt testify. A modern English reader would have difficulty understanding Carolingian miniscule, let alone Merovingian chancery hand. Want to have PCs recreate Gandalf’s search in the Gondorian archives? Let’s hope their resident academic knows historical scripts.

Of course literacy isn’t going to do much if there isn’t anything to read, which brings us to scribes, libraries and printing presses. A pre-print society will have to rely upon scribes or magic to copy texts, which means that book ownership may be rare and dependent on the reader’s income. In this situation a village of literate folk may instead pool their resources and establish a tiny library, with a retired local farmer as a scribe - his sons being employed in running the farm. Such a character is referenced in the novel Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrell, as being the last keeper of the King’s Book - the only extant tome written by the King of the North.

A post-print society is going to have rather more accessible reading, but that brings up the issue of control - would the local government be okay with all kinds of texts being circulated? What about seditious pamphlets or criticisms of a monarch? French libelles in the 18th century painted Queen Marie Antoinette as a profligate spender and a promiscuous adulterer, culminating in accusations of lesbianism and incest with her son.

Such texts could be an obstacle for a good-aligned PC party. What would they do if civilians around them, taken in by polemic texts, start refusing them passage through villages and towns? What if the libel was intended to destabilize their patron monarch?

contributed by M.W. Simmes

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Tomb of Annihilation requires the PCs to be able to read texts written in Ye Olde Script*, a now-extinct language, to figure out where they are supposed to be going. Unlike Common, it is hieroglyph-based. I haven't looked carefully through the adventure to see who can translate and/or how accessible they are. I can easily see this functioning as a complete roadblock to the adventure unless the DM is willing to hand-wave it or provide a scroll of Ritual-cast Comprehend Languages for the Wizard to copy into his spellbook.

* not its real name, of course.

delericho

Legend
Literacy, or the lack thereof, and languages in general, is one of those areas where I would really like for the game to pay quite a bit more attention... while at the same time finding it to be a huge pain whenever it does.
[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6803337]Eltab[/MENTION] basically summed it up: language barriers serve as a roadblock that can all-too-readily prevent the players best able to (or most interested in) getting involved in a scene. And, in cases where the entire party lack the key language, they can completely derail the adventure - much like a riddle the PCs can't (but must) solve, or a secret door they can't (but must) find.

(And then, to get round that the game provides a solution in the form of an easily-cast spell, turning an insurmountable roadblock into a trivial speed-bump. I'm not sure that's better.)

With languages, I'm inclined to mostly handwave them - assume just about everyone speaks Common and just about everyone is literate... until, very occasionally, you hit a situation where they are not. For instance, the PCs might be teleported half a world away, and so for one adventure they then need to deal with a language barrier. Keep it up just long enough to be interesting... and the moment it's not declare that the PCs have been exposed to the language long enough to have become conversant. (See also "The Thirteenth Warrior" for a scene showing this in operation.)

delericho

Legend
Tomb of Annihilation requires the PCs to be able to read texts written in Ye Olde Script*, a now-extinct language, to figure out where they are supposed to be going. Unlike Common, it is hieroglyph-based.

If none of the PCs can read the language, and assuming the book shows the required texts (and assuming the symbols consistently mean the same things throughout), I'd be inclined to make it a challenge for the players - give them the various texts as handouts, along with a partial key showing some (but not all) of the translations. Then let them figure it out.

However, that only works if they're able to make at least some progress without figuring out the texts.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
assuming the book shows the required texts (and assuming the symbols consistently mean the same things throughout)
I keep encountering text passages that read "the carvings on the wall say (in Ye Olde Script)" followed by the English-language translation.
There are some handouts, but they are for symbol-puzzles, not translation challenges.

Personally, I would like some translation tasks when part of the challenge is that the PCs are "strangers in a strange land" - but then I'm a rare bird.

delericho

Legend
I keep encountering text passages that read "the carvings on the wall say (in Ye Olde Script)" followed by the English-language translation.

Ah. That's unfortunate.

Personally, I would like some translation tasks when part of the challenge is that the PCs are "strangers in a strange land" - but then I'm a rare bird.

Indeed. As an occasional challenge, that can indeed be quite interesting.

rmcoen

Adventurer
In my current (4e) campaign, the PCs come from a wide variety of backgrounds, most of which aren't relevant to this conversation. However, there is one elf in the group, and he is also the only one who understands Elven without magical aid. (There are two wizards, and both have Comprehend Languages.) The *player* of this elven ranger is a combat-hound, and takes naps when we aren't in combat. The rest of us (players and GM) take perverse pleasure in his discomfiture when his elf must act as the "face-man" for the group. Sometimes it is because of needed parley with other elves. Currently, it is because they are stuck in an extraplanar drow city, and he's the only one who can understand their enemy (outside of CompLang castings).

How does this apply to literacy? As the only "native speaker" of Elven, the ranger is the only one given chances to decipher "High Elven" tomes and riddles, or make quick in-combat decisions based on labeled doors/crates/potions, etc. Not something that comes up often, but was key when they explored the ruins of the lost Elven capital, and relevant as they go marauding the Drow Houses now. In every other circumstance... everyone in the party is literate except the warforged automaton - who can read warlock sigils, due to the nature of his "creation backstory", but nothing else. *LAck of literacy" therefore pretty much never becomes an issue.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
[MENTION=6692404]rmcoen[/MENTION]: Well done. That's the way to do it: introduce some pausible linguistic and/or literacy complication, yet ensure the party as a whole has the means to overcome it working together with someone on the team offering a solution, and - here's the tension/suspense - as long as they are kept conscious and capable to do so.

Remove ads

Remove ads