D&D 5E Where in FR do you want the next big adventure book to go?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Personally, I’d like to see Amn, Cormyr, the Anauroch Desert & Netheril proper. I could one of those two big cities featured, or else a desert-based adventure in the Anauroch. We’ve had jungle, we’ve had ice, we’ve had water, we’ve had Hell, Shadowfell & desert adventures sounds about right for the next one.
Kara-Tur or Al-Qadin
I'd like to see any of this.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hi so slight Necro, but we know that we’re getting the next adventure path and AL season in late summer, so I’ve been thinking of it.

It won’t be Moonsea, Monshae Isles, or Border Kingdoms because those are all claimed by AL. AL’s standard seasons have been developing the Moonsea and they’ve granted the CCC adventures on DMs Guild the chance to create their own tales and locations around the Moonsea. Developing it proper with WotC details would be counterproductive to the goals of a living, community-driven FR around the Moonsea.

Similarly, Baldman Games has the story claims to AL-legal adventures in the Moonshaes, and wrote a high quality regional gazetteer for it that you can print on demand. And Ed Greenwood has been doing the same with the Border Kingdoms.

And Calimshan wouldn’t have been given to Guild Adepts to write a regional guide that came out last year if there was a plan anytime soon to adventure there.

Neverwinter was a BIG focus for 4e FR, so I doubt we’re going back there. It’s been in the background of much of the earlier hardcover stories in 5e (such as Storm King’s Thunder).

While I’d love to visit the Sea of Fallen Stars, Ghosts of Saltmarsh sort of locks out maritime adventures in any major capacity. We’ll a storyline with themes we haven’t seen yet.

I also don’t think we’ll go to other continents, or too far off the Sword Coast+ map that was made so gorgeously for 5e. There are sensitivity issues with visiting “fantasy version of x culture” and the closer they stay to home base the easier it is to avoid racist depictions. If they’re going to do East Asian or Arabian Nights or Mesoamerican or Australian inspired fantasy, I imagine it will be with entirely new settings that are written by fans who come from those cultures that are being adapted from. Kara-Tur etc will still exist but by keeping it vague, they allow players to imagine those settings the ways the want.

So both Chult and Icewind Dale were just barely out of view from that big map of the North. I think they’ll go to similar margins or slightly off it next.

Personally, I’d like to see Amn, Cormyr, the Anauroch Desert & Netheril proper. I could one of those two big cities featured, or else a desert-based adventure in the Anauroch. We’ve had jungle, we’ve had ice, we’ve had water, we’ve had Hell, Shadowfell & desert adventures sounds about right for the next one.

I don't really see AL being granted access to regions as a reason for why WotC isn't pursuing those regions. In the past they both did the same regions at the same time, so I don't really think that AL doing something hints at anything WotC may decide.

ECMO3

Hero
Hi all!

So I think it's fairly obvious that WotC has a running pattern when it comes to their annual adventure books; they pick a region or city of the Forgotten Realms and go very deep into that area, fleshing it out so that an adventuring party could conceivably run an entire campaign in just that area.

In Tomb of Annihilation, we went to Chult. In Dragon Heist, we saw a pretty detailed Waterdeep. In Descent of Avernus, we begin in Baldur's Gate and get a gazetteer for the city. In Rime of the Frostmaiden, we visit the region of Icewind Dale.

I think it's pretty clear that the next book will likely be similar, either picking a specific region as a jumping-off point to something broader (looking at you, Spelljammer), or just a deep dive into a specific region we haven't seen much of in 5E.

What regions of the Forgotten Realms would y'all like to see revisited? Cormyr? Amn? Thay? The Moonshae Islands? Lantan?

I'm curious as to what regions you FR fans most long to see again, and what adventure you would want to have there!
I think Thay would compete with Borovia, so I don't see that happening. The eastern lands and Lantan would be more of a niche as far as popularity so I think those are less likely too. Moonshae would almost have to be nautical themed, so I think that is unlikely with Saltmarsh published last year.

I would like to see Calimshan and I think a desert campaign would be good and I think that is one of the more likely places, along with Cormyr (unfortunately) or Amn.

Other places I would like to see are Samarach or Halruaa but I think those are less likely.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really think that either Rashemen and Thay, or Cormyr and Sembia and the Dales, is the most likely, if they go out of the Sword Coast. If they stay in/near the SC, Neverwinter. It, or things connected to it, has/have been referenced a lot in 5e, and I really doubt they care at this point about whether a thing was big in 4e.

Remove ads