D&D General Where is magic prohibited in your world??

Are there places in your campaign world where magic is prohibited? Where there are strong cultural edicts or laws that disallow the casting of magic? Anything beyond the obvious, "don't use magic to commit crimes"? Bonus points if magic is available for use but isn't allowed anyway. I never thought about that much. Though I do know of an example in My Little Pony.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I have a region which was conquered by Graz'zt descended tieflings where the main form of magic is from warlocks who form the nobility and priestly caste. Divine and primal magic is outlawed and if you're a wizard or sorcerer you'd best be careful about showcasing your abilities, if you get to the point where you throw a fireball or two then you'll likely wake up one day to find you've disappeared (likely dead). The tieflings allow no challengers to their power.

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
I don't have whole regions that outlaw all magic but I do have those that regulate magic. Certain magic isn't allowed - not just things like raising the dead, but teleportation magic or certain magical research relating to familiars etc. I see magic as a technology that is regulated by the people in charge so this comes up from time to time.

Shiroiken

Legend
Beyond the obvious "in the presence of the king" type thing, criminal courts typically do not allow the use of magic. This prevents charmed testimony and other methods that can twist the outcome of the trial. Conversely, this also prohibits Zone of Truth from being used as well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Most of my cities dont allow magic to be cast inside their walls.

Now, how they enforce those regulations vary from town to town. A small village with 5 militia men wont have much power to stop a 15th level warlock from doing their creepy stuff in the village square.

''Winners dont use drugs, polite society dont use magic''

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
Most of my cities dont allow magic to be cast inside their walls.

Now, how they enforce those regulations vary from town to town. A small village with 5 militia men wont have much power to stop a 15th level warlock from doing their creepy stuff in the village square.

''Winners dont use drugs, polite society dont use magic''
Do they have mages working with the authorities who shut down the magic if it is used?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Do they have mages working with the authorities who shut down the magic if it is used?
Those small villages? Not really.

Larger towns dont have spellcasters ''on retainer'' for those situations, but will send for adventuring parties to deal with those type of things.

Now, that's in theory. In practice most village have a good witch leaving in the woods nearby they are quite content to visit when they fall ill, and many nobles have a chamberlains that are suspected to be magical healers or other hidden spellcasters.

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
Those small villages? Not really.

Larger towns dont have spellcasters ''on retainer'' for those situations, but will send for adventuring parties to deal with those type of things.

Now, that's in theory. In practice most village have a good witch leaving in the woods nearby they are quite content to visit when they fall ill, and many nobles have a chamberlains that are suspected to be magical healers or other hidden spellcasters.
I was thinking the major towns. When there is a law, there is always a means to enforce the law.

Richards

Legend
In my current campaign, there's the city of Baron's Haven where unauthorized spellcasting is not permitted. If you wish to cast a spell within the city's walls, it needs to be at one of the clerical temples and after having first gotten permission from the clerics there. (The Baron ruling the city has a recurring dream/fear he'll be struck down by a magic spell.) The PCs broke the law by using spellcraft to fight off a menace to the city (rampaging giant apes), but the fact that they were aiding the city in doing so only meant they got a lesser sentence when they were hauled before the magistrate.

Johnathan

Remove ads