where is Nilasa's money?

efreund

Explorer
Regarding the wand-smuggling-plot in Book 2:

Nilasa was going to pay the Grinning Griffon 10,000 gp in cash, and a whole lot more in paper-money. On the night of the 4th, I'm assuming everything is already loaded up and ready to go, with the money onboard the Silvo.

But my PCs as pushing hard into the smuggling subplot, and though it's the morning of the 3rd, they are now likely to hit up Deorn Feldmen's house, or the Family Wharf.

I guess I should mention that I found it a little unclear as to exactly how Deorn was related to the Family. But since Nilasa's receipt mentioned Deorn's name and the Family Wharf location, I took them to be different places. (Also, Deorn doesn't have the "part of the family" feat.) And only on the night of the 4th, would Deorn sail the Silvo to the Family Wharf, and then hook up with the Bravuras. (It's the Bravuras who run/own the Family Wharf.) That's also when the House Elf and Nilasa would show up.

Under the original plan (i.e. before Nilasa died), I assumed that the money was with her, and that she would be bringing it to the dock. However, now that's she dead, where is the money? Who collects it, and who brings it to the Family Wharf? (And why doesn't this person run off with the 10,000gp in cash, giddy with glee?)

I'm guessing that's it's in the care of the Bravuras, and that Deorn doesn't get his hands on it until the night of the 4th. Which means if my PCs hit up the Family Wharf on the morning of the 3rd, they can get their hands on the money, and cancel the operation that way.

Anyone see any issues with that? Has this come up for any other group?

hirou

Explorer
I can't load my copy right now, but from memory the money is in form of small casket of solid gold, retrieved from some shipwreck by Beshela and given to Gale, then passed to Nilasa. It's likely already in the cargo hold of local ship, perhaps loaded with irrelevant heavy-looking things to mask the weight of gold

efreund

Explorer
the money is in form of small casket of solid gold, retrieved from some shipwreck by Beshela and given to Gale, then passed to Nilasa
Huh. That's not in my book. I own the Act I compilation in Pathfinder; maybe it got cut during translation? I've read adv2 very carefully by this point, and I haven't seen that.

The only thing similar I've run across is the segment in the Goodman prison, where one of the partners-in-crime has a dialogue option where he says that Nilasa said that there's a lot of shipwrecks, and Gale has friends with merfey, but it's presented as hearsay rather than GM-fact, and also doesn't have the additional details you mentioned.

Anyway, I'm fine with making stuff up, and your bits sound good (and thank you for them!), I'm just curious why it's not in my version.

But the question remains: where is the gold prior to the operation? Or put another way, where was Nilasa hiding it, before she died?

hirou

Explorer
Checked in the text, it's in the "Smuggler's night", second paragraph, citing:
The Crisillyiri will hand over three crates of magic wands, and the local smugglers will pay them with a case of gold worth 10,000 gp, plus stack of bills of mark worth a total of one hundred and fifty thousand gold pieces. These bills are popular currency for massive transactions, but the bank that backs them with actual coinage is based in Nalaam, a small neutral city between Drakr and Crisillyir.
I'm not sure if I invented the rest or just can't find the description elsewhere. Either way, the money is most definitely already with Deorn (btw in the next chapter it's written that "Technically only Deorn and the bravuras are members of the Family", so he is Family after all).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases