• Adventurer's Vault/Magic Item Compendium

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Shangri-La

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 5 4.7%

Ichneumon

First Post
We all know that 5e's engine will run on unenchanted oil. But plenty of DMs will still want to fling some magical treasure their players' way, as most of us still appreciate a +1 weapon or bag of holding. Question is, where should the magic items be placed? The Player's Handbook (a la 4e) or DMG? Or maybe they should be saved for their own book. Let us know.

frogimus

First Post
My gut choice is the DMG. But it would be really nice to make them specific to an adventure where they aid in the objective and have a limited use (limited charges, destroyed as a part of the story, or returned to the owner). That way, PCs do not have an ever growing toolbox of insta-wins.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Considering that magic items are supposed to be purely optional in 5e, I vote for the DMG. Even in 3e, when player characters were able to get item creation feats, they still put the magic items in the DMG. That's making an important statement, I think. Anything that's in the PHB is something people will assume the PCs should have easy access to, or are even entitled to. By putting something in the DMG, on the other hand, they're effectively saying "this is under the DM's control."

GSHamster

Adventurer
For reference purposes, I think it's easier if they are in the PHB.

Players have the items, players can look up them up in the PHB. Usually there are multiple copies of the PHB floating around the table, while often there's only 1 DMG.

Elf Witch

First Post
I feel they belong in the DMG. I have always felt that magic items belong in the purview of the DM. Putting them in the PHB subtly sends the message that the PCs are entitled to what ever items they want.

How I handle the fact that a player may not have a DMG I hand out cards with the complete description of the item. It also works to handle who exactly has the item. Also if the player loses the card well some how he lost the item. If the item is destroyed used up i take the card back.

frogimus

First Post
Maybe I play a bit old school, but we always put the item's details on the character sheet as they are discovered (through trial and error or paying an NPC to identify the properties).

Quickleaf

Legend
A radical idea for a game about killing monsters & taking their stuff... B-)

Put magic items in the MM!

It kills several birds with one stone:
  • Themed magic items by treasure/terrain/monster type. When you kill or steal from the frost giants you probably are going to find a frost themed item.
  • No flipping thru other books after a fit, the possible loot is right there. Treasure type B? How much of a treasure parcel is this worth? Which table do I roll on? Ah, they are all right here.
  • Incorporates monster part harvesting for magic item creation. How many thinks can you do with korred hair exactly? A built in reason to go on monster hunting quests.
  • Serves to distract players from remembering monster stats ;)
  • Allows for some construct type monsters to actually *be* magic items that become useful only once "killed", or allows an artifact like the Head of Vecna to have a legendary monster type writeup.

Clearly magic items belong in the only book they ever should be in - the monster book. Cursed items and the secret powers of certain items can go in the DMG, of course.

/tongue-in-cheek

Remove ads