Where to donate RPG stuff?

Serienna

First Post
I'm looking to divest myself of all of my RPG related books (mostly D&D 2e, 3e, and d20 stuff) and was wondering if there were any charities that I could send my collection to to promote imagination and gaming in the younger crowd. I would far rather they be put to a potentially good use than have to trash them. I'd appreciate any ideas and advice.

-S

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you're in America, check with the USO. There are a LOT of gamers in the military, and they can't always bring their stash with them when they deploy due to weight restrictions, but the USO can put them in a base's library or lounge, etc.

Some libraries will take them as well.

If, in the end, you can't find a place to donate them, you can probably sell them to a retailer like Half-Price Books or eBay, getting you a few bucks and ensuring they live on in the collections of other gamers.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm looking to divest myself of all of my RPG related books (mostly D&D 2e, 3e, and d20 stuff) and was wondering if there were any charities that I could send my collection to to promote imagination and gaming in the younger crowd. I would far rather they be put to a potentially good use than have to trash them. I'd appreciate any ideas and advice.

-S

Are you near a large town or city?

Serienna

First Post
Dannyalcatraz thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look into the USO.

Mark CMG, thanks for replying!
I am in fact near a very large city (NYC). What did you have in mind?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Dannyalcatraz thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look into the USO.

Mark CMG, thanks for replying!
I am in fact near a very large city (NYC). What did you have in mind?

Check for Half Price Books in your area. Gamers don't mind getting a good deal on used books and there is no reason why you shouldn't get a few bucks back (and it will only be a few but better than nothing).

Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc.

You might get more seeling through eBay but it takes more time and doesn't guarantee more.

Of ways to donate that don't glean you money there are several. Donating to a library is good, gets you nothing, and library books often get stolen anyway. I find some great deals at Goodwill stores, like a 3.5 PH a few weeks ago for $1.89 plus tax. Lower tier thrifts stores sometimes have good deals but I find inner city locatons tend to have so much traffic that books get damaged if they are there for any length of time. Suburban thrift stores tend to keep their book sections in better shapes and cheap deal can be had at them if you trawl them regularly.

Anyway, that's all of the options I can fathom. I'm a fan of Half Price Books and suggest you also sign up for their mailing which gets you regular coupons. You can use what they give you for your sold books in conjunction with a coupon on a gently used half price book for yourself or as a gift.

Gamers will wind up with those books eventually no matter which way you go.

Remove ads