D&D 5E Where We've Been and Where We Might Be Going (or, What I Think WotC Is Doing)

I can't remember where the data was, but Wildemount was apparently so successful that it rivaled sales of the core rule books...
Based on information we do have access to, that seems extraordinarily unlikely. For example, Wildemount is the 15th-ranked D&D title on Amazon. That's not a straight sales-volume ranking, but it's a fair bet Wildemount hasn't "rivaled" Xanathar's or Tasha's, let alone the core rulebooks.

I like CR. I really like the people involved. I'd be just peachy if Exandria completely displaced FR as an Anniversary Edition default setting. The cartoon looks awesome and I hope it becomes a massive hit. But I also think there's something of a bubble effect in some of the statements that are made about its current reach.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Based on information we do have access to, that seems extraordinarily unlikely. For example, Wildemount is the 15th-ranked D&D title on Amazon. That's not a straight sales-volume ranking, but it's a fair bet Wildemount hasn't "rivaled" Xanathar's or Tasha's, let alone the core rulebooks.

It's on 15th right now, that tracks current sales. I can't remember where I saw, but I read something saying Wildemount's pre-orders were far higher than any D&D book ever. Now, it's been out for some time, so I think it's possible that with continual sales since release, Tasha/Xanathar are overall outselling, but who knows?

It's on 15th right now, that tracks current sales. I can't remember where I saw, but I read something saying Wildemount's pre-orders were far higher than any D&D book ever. Now, it's been out for some time, so I think it's possible that with continual sales since release, Tasha/Xanathar are overall outselling, but who knows?
Nah, it's an algo that weights total sales by recent sales.

Starfox

Hero
I play in the Greyahwk setting. Again, I must say I am not sure i want them to update that setting. Its kind of nice with a "dead" setting where you don't have to be ready to dodge updates to the official story. Yes, I know I don't have to buy/use updates, but I doubt i can be that cool about it.

So yes, update would be nice, as long as its done gently.

Then again, I do use the Greyhawk Wars, so I am not that set in my ways - tough we never played in that era but in a modified post-war setting.

Remove ads