ZEITGEIST Where Would You Put the Six Blades of Srasama? [SPOILERS]

I can buy the logic that the blade being more effective against tieflings is due to misplaced and outdated enmity towards the original Danorans responsible for the Great Malice.

But why demons and devils?

SanjMerchant

Explorer
I can buy the logic that the blade being more effective against tieflings is due to misplaced and outdated enmity towards the original Danorans responsible for the Great Malice.

But why demons and devils?

Well, the Clergy started out as an insurrection against a nation ruled by fiends. Yes, it's called the Demonocracy, but it's also implied a lot of the founders were former members of the Golden Legion, which seemed to be from the Devil side of that arbitrary divide (they've got erinyes and horned devils as of Chapter 12, for example). So I figure part of why she turned the Clergy hierarchs into tieflings (which is to say, partially fiendish people) instead of, I dunno, pillars of salt or something is because she wanted to show them what they were on the inside: oppressive and cruel fiends, just like the ones their ancestors had overthrown. So, even in this setting, the similarity between a tiefling and a fiend is more than just cosmetic, and the blade attacks the fiendish part of their natures.

At least, that's what my headcanon justification for that little detail is.

What makes you say that the founders were former members of the Golden Legion? Ashima-Shimtu, for example, is a demon and not a devil. There is little saying that only the Golden Legion and the Gidim invaded the Waking back in the days of the Ancients.

Indeed, the Ancient history appendix says, "From across the multiverse came savage demons, titanic dragons, the angels of numerous gods, and many more, all trying to claim their own territory."

SanjMerchant

Explorer
What makes you say that the founders were former members of the Golden Legion? Ashima-Shimtu, for example, is a demon and not a devil. There is little saying that only the Golden Legion and the Gidim invaded the Waking back in the days of the Ancients.

Indeed, the Ancient history appendix says, "From across the multiverse came savage demons, titanic dragons, the angels of numerous gods, and many more, all trying to claim their own territory."

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were the sole founders, but I could've sworn there was something somewhere that suggested some Golden Legionnaires got stuck on this side of the Seal and teamed up with other miscellaneous fiends to start the Demonocracy. But maybe that was just me inferring more than is there.

(FYI, this is also where I assume Linia the angel came from: once a traveler from goodness (heh) knows where who happened to be on our side of the Seal when it was put in place.)

Remove ads