• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Class or classes do you feel are unbalanced-too powerful?

Which class or classes are a bit to strong?

• Barbarian

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 100 45.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 77 34.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Ranger

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • None-The classes are all more or less balanced

Votes: 80 36.2%

moritheil

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Can't compete with the fighter, can't compete with the bard, can't compete with the wizard--what's he supposed to do, sit back and play band-aid dispenser?)

Absolutely. I'm not being spurious here; most of the complaints I get concerning clerics involve the party being pissed off that they dared to do anything other than dispense band-aids. It doesn't matter how many enemy casters the cleric silenced, how many undead he turned, or how many enemies he smote that were about to ruin the wizard, there will still be complaints centered around the fact that the party members wanted that healing to be snappier.

Merlion

First Post
sillyolpooh said:
I voted fighter. The TEN bonus feats, in addition to unlimited armour and weapon selections and a d10 for HD make the fighter overpowered from level one.

And with what do you back this up exactly? Compared to what exactly? The fighter has always had a high HD and the best weapon and armor selections. The Paladin has the exact same advantages, and has a host of useful supernatural abilities instead of feats.

The Barbarian has the same weapon selection, a larger hit die, fast movement and rage from level one, and gives up only heavy armor profciency.

Please, post some sort of reason or backup for this claim.

sillyolpooh said:
Cleric spells suck

Have you actually looked at the Cleric spell list? Again, at least attempt to back up your claims.

sillyolpooh said:
most of the healing that they're good for can be accomplished with cheap potions.

True. Which just frees up a Cleric's spell slots to use all of their more powerful combat spells.

sillyolpooh said:
They need a full range of armor because they need it; they have no armor or dodge bonuses like half the other classes

So I guess Wizards should recieve a d8 hit die and heavy armor as well then? And the ability to cast in it freely.

sillyolpooh said:
They can't specialize in weapons, they have no sneak attack

Neither can anyone else, accept Fighters and Rogues respectively.

sillyolpooh said:
In a nutshell, clerics are great second-tear characters, supporting everyone else, but a paladin, ranger, or even another fighter would be far more useful in combat. And a wizard is a more useful spellcaster, and a rogue or bard far more useful for skills

Wizards are different spellcasters...they are not far more useful. Yes, a fighter or paladin is going to be better in combat than an unbuffed Cleric, but they Cleric can get a couple combat feats and cast a spell to be right up there with them...or better yet take out the enemies with Slay Living, Destruction, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness etc.

All while having an AC equal or superior to the Fighters, and between saves and spell being immune to most relevent magical attacks.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Merlion said:
True. Which just frees up a Cleric's spell slots to use all of their more powerful combat spells.

Actually, you can't accomplish the healing that clerics would otherwise do with cheap potions. Even potions of cure light wounds add up pretty quickly, but more to the point, by the levels we're talking about (basically level 7+), a characters don't get light wounds in threatening combats. If the advanced belker rips the paladin for 35 points of damage, a potion of cure light wounds won't get him back on his feet and into the fight. A cure critical wounds spell with augment healing (4d8+16) will. If the half-fiend two headed remorhaz bites the other cleric for 100 points of damage and is ready to swallow him whole, a potion of cure light wounds isn't worth the action it takes to drink it. He needs a heal spell. (And a dimension door or freedom of movement).

For a while, you can get by on potions of cure serious wounds, but at 750gp each, they're definitely not cheap.

Yes, a fighter or paladin is going to be better in combat than an unbuffed Cleric, but they Cleric can get a couple combat feats and cast a spell to be right up there with them...or better yet take out the enemies with Slay Living, Destruction, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness etc.

Actually, a cleric pretty much has to pick one or the other. He can cast spells and hold his own with the fighters OR he can take out his enemies with slay living, etc. The problem is that to be an effective offensive spellcaster, you need at LEAST a 16 wisdom (17 or 18 starting wisdom is much better) AND to spend your feats and money on things to improve your spellcasting. Divine Spellpower, Spell Focus Necromancy, Spell Focus Enchantment, Empower Spell, Spell Penetration, domain substitution, etc are the feats that you'll take in place of Power Attack and Cleave. You'll spend your money on a better periapt of wisdom, cloak of charisma, and circlet of persuasion (for Divine Spellpower) instead of a holy weapon and fortification armor. A cleric can be a second shelf fighter or a second shelf offensive spellslinger without making such a focused investment in feats and spells, but if he wants to hang with the fighters or actually take out enemies with save or dies, then he needs to focus.

All while having an AC equal or superior to the Fighters, and between saves and spell being immune to most relevent magical attacks.

You're going overboard here. Clerics aren't immune to "the most relevant magical attacks." (Nor is their AC appreciably better than a fighter's--it's similar to an offensively focussed fighter's) Even if they have enough warning of the combat to get freedom of movement active, the most relevant magical attacks for clerics are reflex save attacks and due to their typically poor dex (and inability to effectively multiclass with a strong ref save class like ranger), clerics tend to be worse at reflex saves than fighter types. So, clerics tend to take lots of damage from fireballs, flame strikes, etc and to be trapped behind spells like wall of stone and inside resilient spheres. Bad guys aren't dumb. They won't waste a hold person on the cleric any more than they'll chuck a flaming sphere at the rogue. But they do have plenty of options for smacking clerics around magically and since the cleric can't know in advance whether he's going to be facing acid orbs, fireballs, lightning bolts, or cones of cold, he can't generally be prepped with the right resist/protection from energy either.

Nail

First Post
Nail said:
....I'm afraid you're going to have to put your money where your mouth is. Have you seen this spell in play? Where and how, exactly?

Merlion said:
No, I havent. But all one needs to do to know what the spell does is read the spell descrption. And, I never said the spell was horribly overpowered. In my personal design philsophy,....

Right. If a spell is overpowered in your "personal design philosophy"........that must prove something, right?

Let's nail this down a bit with some history. Remember when 3.0e first came out? One of big "overpowered" classes people pointed at was....the Sorcerer. Why? 'Mostly because no one had really played it much, and had no experience with the class and its (severe) limitations.

Since then, most of us have learned how wrong that "read-through impression" was. It turns out "play-testing" really is the acid test for new rules. (Although the initial reaction to the Warlock class showed some people never learn.....) Even the best designers know they'd be foolish to judge a mechanic based only on its description on paper. ....And they also know that a rule that is a problem with some groups won't be a problem with others.

Designing your own rules can be fun....but don't mistake your design principles for well-tested mechanics. I can tell that line is a little blurry for you.

Merlion said:
if you keep seeing materials again and again that are broken/poorly designed, and are made specifically for or can only be used by a certain core class (like Divine Metamagic, Domain Spontaneity etc) especially a core class that is often spoken of as being poorly designed, it makes you wonder doesnt it?
First, we're discussing whether or not a cleric is balanced as is. Asserting it isn't just to prove another point is misleading, at best.

Second, it's debatable which of the add-on feats are truely broken. You and I might agree Persistant Spell feat is broken. Others, however, are not generally agreed upon. Domain Spontaneity, for example, has worked out well in our games, as well as others.

Third, "if you keep seeing materials again and again" makes me think the designers are trying to compensate for an otherwise weak class. What logic leads you to think the opposite?

Merlion said:
Also for the record, to me WOTC produced stuff like the Complete books that are obviously meant as direct add ons to the core rules might as well be part of the core rules, and should be held to the same standards,
I agree that they should be held to the same standards, which includes significant play-testing. And they don't do that, for obvious reasons......and with obvious results.

Thank g_d the complete books aren't as bad as the 3.0e series, like Sword and Fist. (shudder....)

Nonetheless, the fact that add-on material is broken does NOT mean the core material is broken. In fact, it's irrelevant.

Merlion

First Post
Designing your own rules can be fun....but don't mistake your design principles for well-tested mechanics. I can tell that line is a little blurry for you.

No, the line isnt blurry...your perception of what I am saying is.

As I said last post, I do not unequivcially feel that Freedom of Movement is a terribly unbalanced spell as it is, in the context of D&D, neccesarily.

I do think it contributes to the extreme power of the Cleric and Druid classes.

And for the record, many of the design principles I tend to favor are in fact part of well tested mechanics. For instance, the whole idea of having less all or nothing spells (such as save-or-dies and spells that grant total immunity to things) is a big part of the underlying principles behind Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved.

Actually, a cleric pretty much has to pick one or the other. He can cast spells and hold his own with the fighters OR he can take out his enemies with slay living, etc. The problem is that to be an effective offensive spellcaster, you need at LEAST a 16 wisdom (17 or 18 starting wisdom is much better) AND to spend your feats and money on things to improve your spellcasting. Divine Spellpower, Spell Focus Necromancy, Spell Focus Enchantment, Empower Spell, Spell Penetration, domain substitution, etc are the feats that you'll take in place of Power Attack and Cleave. You'll spend your money on a better periapt of wisdom, cloak of charisma, and circlet of persuasion (for Divine Spellpower) instead of a holy weapon and fortification armor. A cleric can be a second shelf fighter or a second shelf offensive spellslinger without making such a focused investment in feats and spells, but if he wants to hang with the fighters or actually take out enemies with save or dies, then he needs to focus.

I disagree with these assertions, to a point, especially the last one. And I think you are underestimating the Clerics resources to specialize, at least some what, in multiple things at a time.

Also bear in mind the other spellcasting classes dont have the option. Period. Wizards and Sorcerers get spells (and wizards get a few magic related bonus feats) and thats it.

Actually, you can't accomplish the healing that clerics would otherwise do with cheap potions.

No, but you can by the party investing in a Wand or two.

You're going overboard here. Clerics aren't immune to "the most relevant magical attacks." (Nor is their AC appreciably better than a fighter's--it's similar to an offensively focussed fighter's) Even if they have enough warning of the combat to get freedom of movement active, the most relevant magical attacks for clerics are reflex save attacks and due to their typically poor dex (and inability to effectively multiclass with a strong ref save class like ranger), clerics tend to be worse at reflex saves than fighter types. So, clerics tend to take lots of damage from fireballs, flame strikes, etc and to be trapped behind spells like wall of stone and inside resilient spheres. Bad guys aren't dumb. They won't waste a hold person on the cleric any more than they'll chuck a flaming sphere at the rogue. But they do have plenty of options for smacking clerics around magically and since the cleric can't know in advance whether he's going to be facing acid orbs, fireballs, lightning bolts, or cones of cold, he can't generally be prepped with the right resist/protection from energy either.

Your right about Resilient Spheres, to a point. But the Reflex save area damage spells...I have a hard time seeing them as enough of a threat to constitute a true vulnerability. Especially when you consider how many hit points a Cleric is likely to have.

Your right, for the most part about resist/protection as comes to spells. However, if the Cleric realizes he's going to be dealing with a Wizard, he can easily pick likely spells for a Spell Immunity. Also, your forgetting about Spell Resistance.

As for the AC, unenhanced a Cleric will have an AC comparable to the Fighters. Cast Shield of Faith, and its better. But even if this isnt the case, my point is the Cleric has enough AC and HP to be quite durable against physical attacks...if he doesnt pick off the attacker with a spell before the attacker gets close enough.

Also, look at the weaknesses of the other classes.

Wizards have poor Reflex AND Fort saves, and extremely low HP, and low AC without the chance to cast spells first.

So they have the same weakness you mentioned for the Cleric (and more so really because of their low HP), plus being vulnerable to Fort-based save or dies, poisons and the like.

Rogues have poor Fort and Will saves, making them extremely vulnerable to huge swaths of deadly spells and attacks, plus low HP and mediocre AC.

Fighters have poor Will and Reflex saves, making them extremely vulnerable to things like Resilient Spheres, Charms, Holds, Domination.

And the list goes on. Other classes tend to have at least one huge gaping vulnerability, usualy more like two or more.

Clerics and Druids have one somewhat mild one that they are equiped to partially take the edge off of.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Nail said:
Let's nail this down a bit with some history. Remember when 3.0e first came out? One of big "overpowered" classes people pointed at was....the Sorcerer. Why? 'Mostly because no one had really played it much, and had no experience with the class and its (severe) limitations.

Since then, most of us have learned how wrong that "read-through impression" was. It turns out "play-testing" really is the acid test for new rules. (Although the initial reaction to the Warlock class showed some people never learn.....) Even the best designers know they'd be foolish to judge a mechanic based only on its description on paper. ....And they also know that a rule that is a problem with some groups won't be a problem with others.

By my recollection, there were probably more "The Monk class is overpowered" threads in the early days than any other. This is the 3.0 Monk we are talking about. The general consensus after some actual play was that the Monk was pitifully weak unless you were using loaded dice for stat generation.

Hodgepodge collections of odd abilities look intimidating on paper, but in actual play they tend to be less valuable than a vanilla Feat combo. Doubly so for defensive abilities.

On paper, it sure likes the Cleric can potentially fight as well as a Fighter. In practice, this is extremely difficult to pull off because you never really know the right time to cast Divine Power until the time has passed you by. Once the fighting begins, I rate Divine Power and Righterous Might as below average spells to have prepared.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Merlion said:
I disagree with these assertions, to a point, especially the last one. And I think you are underestimating the Clerics resources to specialize, at least some what, in multiple things at a time.

Not at all. I'm just recognizing that clerics need to specialize in order to excel in any of the roles that they pick up. Let's compare the following clerics:

1. Clr 8/Radiant Servant of Pelor 5. Strength, Sun, and Glory domains. Power Attack, Extra Turning, Leadership, Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell, and Divine Spellpower for feats. Str 14, Dex 9 (-1 penalty due to a curse), Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16 (+3 levels), Cha 12

Prominent items: lesser strand of prayer beads, hat of charisma +4, cape of elemental protection, bracers of the quick strike, belt of one mighty blow, +1 greatsword, +2 periapt of wisdom, ioun stone of constitution +2, vest of resistance +3, gloves of dexterity +2, boots of striding and springing, +1 light fortification fullplate.

This is a fairly balanced character. He can mix it up in melee if he needs to and can drop some spells if he needs to. He has a lot of success with fire seeds and flame strike, some success with blade barrier, and greater command, and to date has had no success with slay living. If he focuses his spell list towards fighting, he can fill a fighter's role after two rounds of buffing, but if he has to wade in before then will only be somewhat effective. He is what you're talking about: a character who semi-specializes in several things--turning, buffing, some offensive spellcasting, and is usually second rank melee. (In other words, he's what a cleric has always been in D&D).

2. val'Holryn (val'Sheem powers) Cleric 8 of Beltine. Spirit and afterlife domains. Str 8, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 17 (+1 level--the other level bump went into a bloodline ability), Cha 13
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Legionaire, Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Prominent items: +1 lorica segmentata, +2 periapt of wisdom, +1 cloak of resistance, lesser strand of prayer beads, horn of fog, large collection of scrolls.

This character is designed as an offensive spellcaster and healer/turner. For her first three levels (as a cohort, she started at level 4), she only wore leather armor. Since she chanced upon some magic armor in a favorable trade, she has worn it but wouldn't hesitate to go back if she could get a good deal selling her current armor because her primary defense is not being on the front lines. She has had an amazing amount of success with Phantasmal Killer (4th level domain spell) and bestow curse (fortunately for her, spectral hand is also a domain spell) and moderate success with hold person, random action (under 3.0), blindness/deafness, etc. She could buff herself up for melee and be almost as good a fighter as the first cleric (at 8th level) without buffs, but she doesn't. For her part, the tradeoff of melee effectiveness for spell effectivess has been a good one.

3. Clr 4/Church Inquisitor 1: Purification, Glory, and Inquisition domains. Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16 (+1 level), Cha 14
Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Augment Healing

Prominent items: banded mail, +2 periapt of wisdom, club.

This character is also designed as a spellcasting focused cleric but one who also has a number of useful skills. Being able to do both (and eventually to make good use of the Divine Spellpower feat he'll take at 6th level) required him to give up most of his combat effectiveness.

4. Bbn 1/Clr 12 Domains: Strength, Luck. 1/2 orc Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 14 (+3 level), Cha 6
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell, Extra Rage
prominent Items: +1 ghost touch greatclub. +1 adamantine falchion, +1 feathered mithral fullplate, +4 periapt of wisdom.

This character is designed as an all out melee cleric. He charges things and smashes them with his weapons. Now, he could hold back a bit and drop a flame strike before charging in (but he doesn't--that's a round he didn't use to cast righteous might) and he can cast a heal spell when he needs to. His other abilities are pretty clearly secondary to his role as a fighter.

Also bear in mind the other spellcasting classes dont have the option. Period. Wizards and Sorcerers get spells (and wizards get a few magic related bonus feats) and thats it.

I think you're forgetting a few things here. First, you're forgetting the druid who definitely has the option to specialize in one of his areas of expertise. Second, I think you underestimate the viability of a fighter/mage type. I'd say my eldritch knight pulls his weight just as much as any of the clerics I listed above. Even without the fighter levels, I've seen some surprisingly effective combat mages. And remember that 3 out of 4 things that a cleric can specialize in are not melee combat.

No, but you can by the party investing in a Wand or two.

No you can't. A wand of cure light wounds or lesser vigor is strictly after combat healing. In any of the situations I described above (in other words, any situation that a level 7+ character is likely to find himself in), 1d8+1 is not going to cut it. You need a heal spell.

Your right about Resilient Spheres, to a point. But the Reflex save area damage spells...I have a hard time seeing them as enough of a threat to constitute a true vulnerability. Especially when you consider how many hit points a Cleric is likely to have.

Again, this is probably because you don't play clerics. First, clerics don't have as many hit points vis a vis other classes as you seem to think. Their problem is that their prime attribute enhancing item sits in the same slot as a con enhancing item would: the necklace/amulet/periapt slot. So clerics are likely to have lower con boost items than sorcerer/wizards. Assuming that clerics find alternate slot items like belts of dwarvenkind or ioun stones of constitution, they're still likely to be two to four points behind the con of an arcane caster. Consequently, they will generally have the same hit points (four points behind) or their character level in extra hit points (two points behind). That's not as dramatic a difference as you imply.

Second, reflex is the worst save for clerics in more than one way. Not only is it a weak save, dexterity is generally a cleric's dump stat. (After all, they wear heavy armor and they have to skimp somewhere). And clerics with their limited feats don't have as many options to boost their saves as wizards do. A sorcerer or wizard will generally try to get at least a decent dexterity to improve their AC and their ranged touch attack rolls and initiative, etc. Consequently, a cleric will generally have a weaker reflex save than any other class.

Third, you underestimate the damage from area effect spells. Most such spells do 1d6 per level. Since clerics get 1d8+con/level, a single spell isn't likely to drop them. However, since 1+con bonus is generally 3-4 points, a second area effect damage spell or an empowered damage spell plus a second damage spell IS likely to drop a cleric. I've had it happen to my clerics more than once.

Your right, for the most part about resist/protection as comes to spells. However, if the Cleric realizes he's going to be dealing with a Wizard, he can easily pick likely spells for a Spell Immunity. Also, your forgetting about Spell Resistance.

Spell Resistance is quite useful for dealing with area effect damage (or at least it seems like it should be--I've never actually used it with my cleric, preferring to reliably benefit from my companion's haste spells and thinking an extra flame strike, slay living, or quickened divine favor a better deal). Spell Immunity is much less useful. When the wizard (who may or may not be there) has magic missile, scorching ray, ray of enfeeblement, ray of exhaustion, fireball, lightning bolt, and ice storm to choose from and you only get two spells to be immune to, guessing the right ones is not guaranteed. And, of course, if he's higher level than you, odds are he's going to be using chain lightning, or cone of cold anyway. Even when you can pick four spells to be immune to, there's no guarantee you'll get the right one.

As for the AC, unenhanced a Cleric will have an AC comparable to the Fighters. Cast Shield of Faith, and its better.

If the fighter isn't getting shield of faith as well, the cleric isn't doing his job..... I think the examples above demonstrate that a fighter will typically have an AC that is slightly to significantly better than a cleric's.

But even if this isnt the case, my point is the Cleric has enough AC and HP to be quite durable against physical attacks...if he doesnt pick off the attacker with a spell before the attacker gets close enough.

That rather depends upon the physical attack in question. I know that the primary weakness of the first cleric I listed is that he has an abysmal AC (19 before buffs--even with a good magic vestment and shield of faith, it's still only 28).

Also, look at the weaknesses of the other classes.

Wizards have poor Reflex AND Fort saves, and extremely low HP, and low AC without the chance to cast spells first.

So they have the same weakness you mentioned for the Cleric (and more so really because of their low HP), plus being vulnerable to Fort-based save or dies, poisons and the like.

In theory, it looks that way, but between higher constitutions and dexterities, and rat/weasel familiars, in my experience wizards tend to have decent fort and reflex saves. Rogues tend to be more vulnerable in this department.

Rogues have poor Fort and Will saves, making them extremely vulnerable to huge swaths of deadly spells and attacks, plus low HP and mediocre AC.

Fighters have poor Will and Reflex saves, making them extremely vulnerable to things like Resilient Spheres, Charms, Holds, Domination.

Will is a classic achilles heel for fighters though with all the prestige classes out these days, I find that fighters tend to be somewhat resistant to will saves. And because they have less pressure on their stat points, they tend to have slightly higher reflex saves than clerics.

And the list goes on. Other classes tend to have at least one huge gaping vulnerability, usualy more like two or more.

Clerics and Druids have one somewhat mild one that they are equiped to partially take the edge off of.

I'd agree that other classes tend to have more vulnerabilities in the save department than clerics or druids, but I wouldn't agree that the cleric/druid weakness is a mild one--it's just one that is easier to deal with than a fort weakness. And I do think that the cleric reflex save weakness is a gaping weakness. It's a bigger weakness than pretty much anything the other classes have with the possible exception of a rogue's will save.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Merlion said:

My experience says that counting defensive abilities and vulnerabilities is the least reliable way of predicting the balance of the class at real gaming table. In fact, it almost never works.

Look at the 3.0 Paladin. By the "hmm, this is worth a roughly a feat" method the Paladin class is much better than a Fighter for level 1-10. Much much better. In an actual typical dungeon crawl the 3.0 Paladin is perfectly playable, but definitely on the weak side unless you are wading through a sea of undead.

The problem is a grabbag of defensive abilities does not make for a powerful class.

Clearly the designers agreed, because they boosted the Paladin a good couple notches for 3.5.

The true weakness of the Cleric and Druid is they lack outstanding and easily exploited strengths. As classes, they have a huge list of resources and I have seen this make a big difference when combats last 10+ rounds. But the outcome of most combats has been decided by the end of round 2, even if they are not quite finished.

In my experience playing a Druid is that tactical choices in rounds 1 and 2 are as tough as any class I have played in. I am probably the least dangerous member of my party when the combat is short and violent.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't feel like sludging back through to find the post, but back in the thread somewhere, someone said clerics (and druids) don't need good fort. saves and d8 hit die. That's at least mostly untrue. The divine spells, unlike the arcane have a lot to do with getting "up-close and personal". The fighter needs healing, but that aberration with the sickeningly effective contact poison is over there? Too bad, gotta go up and tap the fighter on the shoulder. In general, clerics have far more touch spells than wizards, and unlike wizards, they can't just use spectral hand (unless they go mystic theurge, which IS broken). The high fort save and hit die, along with armor proficiencies to make up for crappy dex, is necessarry for survival. Also, keep in mind that against reasonably intelligent foes, who's the first target? The guy with the giant sword, or the guy who can make your last three rounds of work on him completely meaningless with one spell. At least in the games I've been in, clerics are targetted just as much as wizards, if not more so. The only point I might agree to is reducing the hit die to d6, but I don't really have a problem with the d8.

Also, in regards to "just how much damage can a cleric possibly take from ref. save spells?", I would have to say more than any amount of hit points could hope to make up for Let's face it, L. bolt and fireball are just 10 times more common than, say phantasmal killer or hold person. Half the encounters we were in my last campaign, the enemy caster would slam the cleric with a flamestrike/fireball etc... He only went into melee half the time, yet he was consistently the one who could barely stand up when the battle was over.

Zimbel

First Post
silyolpooh said:
I voted fighter. The TEN bonus feats, in addition to unlimited armour and weapon selections and a d10 for HD make the fighter overpowered from level one.
I'm more curious. Have you played a high-level fighter (who, by the way gets 11 bonus feats)? Exactly what feats do you feel help give the Fighter an advantage over, say, a major spellcaster at high levels? To be even more specific, which one is around the power of, say Mass Heal 1/day? Heck, which 10 are worth Mass Heal 1/day?
silyolpooh said:
Now that I'm sure will illicit a number of angry responses, but the following is sure to illicit more. I think anyone who has played a cleric will completely back me up that it is NOT (despite the poll) a powerful class. (Unless you play an evil cleric, in which case all those Harm spells are great). Cleric spells suck, and most of the healing that they're good for can be accomplished with cheap potions.
I've played a cleric through low levels, and seen clerics in play up through LV 22. In Core, Harm and the Cause Wounds spells don't have the Evil descriptor; they are not banned to Good or Neutral clerics. Even without those spells, Clerics rock. Simply put, they are major spellcasters, which the system tends to favor at high levels. Unlike the Wiz and Sorcerer, they don't even get a weak point at early levels.
silyolpooh said:
Clerics have a mediocre BAB. They need a full range of armor because they need it; they have no armor or dodge bonuses like half the other classes. They can't specialize in weapons, they have no sneak attack; they can use weapons (sort of) and that's about it.

In a nutshell, clerics are great second-tear characters, supporting everyone else, but a paladin, ranger, or even another fighter would be far more useful in combat. And a wizard is a more useful spellcaster, and a rogue or bard far more useful for skills.
I'm unclear as to what you mean by an "armor or dodge bonus". The only class I'm aware of that gets something like either is the Monk (who gets 1/5 class level + Wis mod to AC).

Actually, were there only one spellcaster in the party, my preference would be Druid :) I will admit, however, that at very low levels, a Wizard has better offensive spells than a cleric. Unfortunately, at mid-high levels, many skills are largely irrelevant in comparison to spells.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads