• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which cows are most Sacred

What sacred cows are most important to D&D?

• The use of Character Classes

Votes: 96 54.2%
  • The use of Dragons as monsters

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Hit points instead of a Wound / Condition track

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • The presence of Dungeons

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • the 3-18 stat set (based on the orginal 3d6

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • The use of d20's for Attacks and Saves

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Humans, Elves, and Dwarves

Votes: 13 7.3%

wedgeski

Adventurer
I would probably still play D&D without many of those, but if they dropped character classes, it simply wouldn't be D&D any more and they might as well stop calling it that. I see many other folks agree with me. :)

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
jeffh said:
If you're going to phrase the question so that it makes sense to give more than one answer, you should make the poll accept more than one answer.

As it happens, I think only two of those are really sacred, and one is conspicuously moreso than the other. But even so, it would be interesting to see what would come of a multi-choice poll on the same topic.

Multi choice polls tend to skew my ability to figure out what people actually think, since even those who do vote may not vote the same number of times. If I could have made a poll that required 3 votes from anyone voting and had 7 choices, I would have done that.

END COMMUNICATION

Doug McCrae

Legend
jeffh said:
As it happens, I think only two of those are really sacred, and one is conspicuously moreso than the other. But even so, it would be interesting to see what would come of a multi-choice poll on the same topic.
Multi-choice polls are teh suxxor. You just get results like:

Option 1 - 70 votes
Option 2 - 63 votes
Option 3 - 65 votes
Option 4 - 79 votes

Which tells you feck all.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
All...(and you could really do a much bigger poll, hmmm)...with the caveat that you could have HP+condition track, but must have HP.

Totally, totally dungeons, actually.

What's essential to D&D is effectively yielding a particular style of play--in which characters are put into a position where they can confront obstacles without too much narrative complication, where they distinguish themselves from other players by using their abilities to make a distinctive contribution to dealing with those obstacles, and where they are rewarding for overcoming those obstacles by developing as characters.

In other words, if they can't find things, kill them, and take their stuff, it's not D&D.

Doug McCrae said:
Multi-choice polls are teh suxxor. You just get results like:

Option 1 - 70 votes
Option 2 - 63 votes
Option 3 - 65 votes
Option 4 - 79 votes

Which tells you feck all.
Not in the least. It tells you that the possibilities are, in fact, largely EQUAL in the eyes of the respondents, or given the discontinuity between the question as phrased and the format of possible responses, that you need to refine your polling techniques. Perhaps by phrasing the question as,
"Which single cow is the most sacred?"
It makes a difference in how and why people respond.

Remove ads