• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Campaign World did you enjoy most?

LurkMonkey

First Post
Just a curiosity thing. I see that there is a bunch of contention about Forgotten Realms (not one of my favorites, but a great perrenial mining source for my games). I would make a poll, but I'm afraid I'd forget one or two. :eek:

For me, it's always been Planescape. Something about the setting resonates with me, the feel of Sigil, the factions, the box sets, even DiTerlizzi's artwork. I also loved the fact that anything could show up, and I didn't have to come up with a good reason why an angel and a demon were fistfighting outside the local pub.

So, what was your favorite setting and why? Did you like traditional Greyhawk, high-fantasy Forgotten Realms, gonzo Planescape, gritty fantasy post-apocalypse Dark Sun, gothik Ravenloft or perhaps something that a 3rd party publisher came out with like Freeport or the Iron Kingdoms?

Heck, even if you loved your DM's homebrew, give them a shoutout! :lol:

Nymrohd

First Post
Well ofc it would be my homebrew:) I love Planescape but I don't consider it a D&D campaign setting. I did have tons of fun playing some Eberron in 3.5 so I guess I'd go for that.

nerfherder

Explorer
Thieves' World. We played the original with AD&D, then RQ3, then played the Green Ronin version.

I like the gritty urban setting, and the strange NPCs we came across.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Now, I should probably say Dragonlance or Mystara, because I've spent more time with those than all of the other options combined, or maybe something else entirely like Twilight 2000 or Cyberpunk or Kult or even Car Wars, but..

Enjoy?

Blackmoor. It might be the nostalgia talking, but Blackmoor just always felt right.

Boregar

First Post
Greyhawk.

I remember playing through the 'Keep on the Borderlands', 'Against the Giants', 'White Plume Mountain' and all the other modules when I was a kid, and then further exploring the world through my groups own adventures, and finding that pretty much everything I was looking for in a setting was here. :)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
First place: Eberron. Hits all the right buttons for me - especially since the attitude is very "20th century" (the post-war situation, the noir and pulp influences), while still being recognisably fantasy and pre-industrial (though probably on the cusp of a paradigm shift). Especially since I don't care much for faux-medieval worlds.

Add in the broad scope of the world that makes it very DM-friendly (since I primarily DM) and we have a winner in terms of look, feel & enjoyment as well as usability.

Cheers, LT.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
My favourite D&D setting is 4e FR. Before that, it used to be Greyhawk, but the fans ruined that setting to me forever after.

A more interesting conversation would be "What is your favourite setting and why?" In which case, I'd go with GURPS Shadow War.

ProtoClone

First Post
Dragonlance: Age of Mortals campaign.

Even though we didn't finish it I still liked feeling like I was actually affecting the actual content of the game for futures to come.

Remove ads