Which is your favorite new class & why?

fuindordm

Adventurer
It's a tough choice, but I'm going to have to go with the oracle. The class is simple, yet inspiring. A neat piece of work!

The witch is a close runner-up.

Among the core classes, I think the rogue got the most interesting expansion with the vast array of low-level and high-level talents.

Ben

Dredan

First Post
I would have to agree, the MMO's I always played the pet classes just because of the survivability that is needed when you go into dungeons without a group. Base class though in DnD I love the arcane casters (wizard and Sorc)

Gnome

First Post
I need to look at the alchemist and inquisitor more closely, but I am really enjoying the witch's flavor and crunch. I used 2 of them along with a green hag as villains in the last session I ran, and the spell list and the hexes of the witches made the combat a lot more interesting.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Summoner, defnitely.

In EverQuest 1 & 2, I loved my Necromancer (and, to a lesser extent, the Magician / Conjurer).

In Dark Ages of Camelot, my favorite classes were Theurgist (summons many small elementals), Cabalist (creates one large golem), Enchanter (summons a fey sorcerer ally), Bonedancer (creates three or four skeletal servants).

In City of Villains, it was all about the Masterminds, with their teams of robots, thugs, ninja or zombies.

Heck, I even loved my Star Wars Galaxies Creature Handler, back in the day, with his pet Rancor (not that anyone used the Rancor, since a trio of Sludge Panthers were more effective...).

The chance to play a real 'pet class' in D&D is totally cool.

I agree. I always love having a pet or being the wizard that is a "one man army". This gives you a chance to be that. Summoning has almost always been fairly useless in D&D. This class might actually be a useful summoner, though I still think the price of gate is way too high to be of real use.

Wycen

Explorer
Of the six new core classes, I like them all, but I'm thinking I'm going to try the Alchemist first. Mostly, because I don't have the core book and don't want to buy it, (it's on my list of B-day presents) so without using the SRD, the alchemist looks the most self-contained magic user type class, though the summoner looks very tempting.

lightgun_suicide

First Post
The witch.

I agree that a hex should be added to polymorph (other and self), perhaps with a curse attached with a get-out clause (kiss a prince, wear a crown etc) a la Ravenloft? I also think a broomstick should feature in there somewhere. Perhaps more hexes, less spells? At the moment the witch has almost equal spell casting abilities as a wizard of the same level, min/max'd I'd rather play a witch than wizard or cleric. However I assume that was intended.

Last edited:

Remove ads