Which of these six is the best H.P. Lovecraft story?

Which of these six would you choose?

• The Call of Cthulhu

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • At the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • The Nameless City

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • The Dunwich Horror

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • The Dreams in the Witch House

Votes: 6 7.4%

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As said, it depends entirely on how the adventure conversion is handled. Depending on how close to the original story the conversions are, I'd suggest Shadow Over Innsmouth as the best of the bunch. It's got all the usual elements of a cool mystery, pulse pounding action-adventure, and a great twist ending. If the conversion has you playing the main character of the original story, it would be amazing as a solo adventure.

Chaosium also does a series of "Alone Against..." solo adventures to play. You can grab them as PDFs. All of them are good, but some are quite fun.

Tutara

Adventurer
Of the options given, The Shadow over Innesmouth is the most complete Lovecraft experience. It’s creepy, desolate and upsetting. The Dunwich Horror is good, but a bit creaky in places. My favourite story - by a country mile - is one not on this list: The Colour Out of Space. Brilliant stuff!

Ryujin

Legend
Of the options given, The Shadow over Innesmouth is the most complete Lovecraft experience. It’s creepy, desolate and upsetting. The Dunwich Horror is good, but a bit creaky in places. My favourite story - by a country mile - is one not on this list: The Colour Out of Space. Brilliant stuff!
Have you seen the recent movie "The Color out of Space" starring Nicolas Cage?

Von Corellon

Adventurer
The Call of Cthulhu is the seminal and celebrated work, while At The Mountains of Madness is the only novella-length work. Both are amazing and provide essential lore for the Mythos, such as The Great Old Ones in CoC and Elder Things and Shoggoth in ATMOM. Can’t go wrong with either!

Last edited:

Remove ads