• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which ranged weapon(s) do(es) your D&D character(s) use?

Which ranged weapon(s) do(es) your D&D character(s) use?

• Longbow

Votes: 79 28.2%
  • Composite Longbow

Votes: 168 60.0%
  • Shortbow

Votes: 49 17.5%
  • Composite Shortbow

Votes: 50 17.9%
  • Light Crossbow

Votes: 111 39.6%
  • Heavy Crossbow

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Repeating Crossbow

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Hand Crossbow

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Dart

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Dagger

Votes: 90 32.1%
  • Sling

Votes: 41 14.6%
  • Javelin

Votes: 37 13.2%
  • Shuriken

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Staff Sling

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Knife

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Whip

Votes: 26 9.3%
  • Net

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Other: Please specify!

Votes: 41 14.6%

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Mostly it depends on the character and what options are available to them....

Clerics: light crossbows.

Fighter classes: longbow, mighty composite longbow, crossbow.

I had a ranger that carried both a crossbow and a longbow. And also a hand axe but never used it for range, just a backup melee weapon. But then he also carried two longswords (one magical), magical short sword, dagger, light mace, rapier..... a virtual "weapon's rack". ;)

Thanee

First Post
Composite longbow usually, since I generally like bows and they are also fairly good weapons in D&D. :)

Other: Scorching Ray. :D

Bye
Thanee

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
My elf wizard packs a shortbow, mainly because we just happened across a magic one, coupled with the realization that spells aside, we had no ranged attack capability.

Bow aside, my wizard found a small glowing gem with an aura of evocation. After (admitedly metagaming on my part) throwing it at a vampire and hoping for it to explode into a ball of fire, I was disapointed to discover that it was apparently nothing more than a light source. Since that time it's been something of a running gag, as I've threatened others with the dread glowing rock, and thrown it at a second vampire and several skeletons since it was discovered.

When I get a few more levels and some craft feats under my belt, I'm going to turn that rock into something really nasty.

Filby

First Post
I haven't played in a while, but my last character was a dwarf fighter who specialized in composite shortbow. He also carried a hand axe.

Crosshair

First Post
May seem rather odd here.

My epic half-dragon level fighter-

To the point. He uses Hand Repeating Heavy Ballistas.(His strength is phenominal). Each repeating heavy crossbow comes with a 5 round clip type ammo pack which are loaded and removed by very small white hairless, creatures(kind of like bipedal mice, nicknamed 'meece') which load and unload clips into the gun.(Origin of species: Meece)

So he walks around with two ballistas in each hand shoot things.. Couple packs of fireball bolts too just in case.

Dream idea since we started, sure took long enough.

No no, not crossbows. Ballistas.

Romnipotent

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
I forgot the hand axe. Sue me.
I shall!
Handaxe as well...
Also use chairs, boulders, moons, and assorted astral bodies.

Favorite though would have to be a halfling. Throw and forget

Last edited:

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Heavy carbine.

Our Planescape game is sort of steampunk. I'm shopping for a +1 Bane (Evil Outsiders) Holy Magebane Heavy Pistol, for killing demons, devils, and rakshasa.

Brad

Ace

Adventurer
My charcters usually use composite longbow or hand axe for effectiveness oriented builds. Daggers get used with some and in my Pyrate D&D game my character used a pistol when he was out of magic missiles

R-Hero

Explorer
Tuzenbach said:
Check all that apply. And do please add to the list if you don't see the applicable option. Thanks!

For real distance, most of the games I play rely on spell casters.

The current game I'm in, My fighter has a trident, (10 ft) and another Half Ogre character uses a spiked chain (10 for weapon and 10 for giant) with devistating results.

Tanglefoot bags can be effective, (touch ac) at least at lower levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads