• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which settings are worth looting?

Which setting(s) are the best to draw d20 gaming material from?

• Arcanis

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 40 10.9%
  • Dawnforge

Votes: 21 5.7%
  • Diamond Throne

Votes: 74 20.2%
  • Dragonmech

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Eberron

Votes: 157 42.9%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 200 54.6%
  • Freeport

Votes: 83 22.7%
  • Kalamar

Votes: 74 20.2%
  • Morningstar

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Oathbound

• Ravenloft

Votes: 73 19.9%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 88 24.0%
  • Talislanta

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Dragonstar

• Other d20 current (specify)

Votes: 68 18.6%
  • Other pre-3e D&D setting (specify)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • Other non D20

Votes: 50 13.7%

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Delta Green and Delta Green: Countdown. Especially the latter has many plunderable bits for fantasy campaigns. I've used the Hastur Mythos and the Army of the Third eye in fantasy settings. I mean, trepanation is so much fun that I just had to share it with my players.

I haven't used the castration cult worshipping a fertility deity yet, but one day I will. And then, my (male) players will cringe!

Trickstergod

First Post
Although I "steal" from just about any book I happen to have in some degree or another, I think the one I do so most often is Ravenloft. Whether in 2nd or 3rd edition, my undead and werecreatures having generally come with Ravenloft rules attached onto them.

I've also considered using the VP/WP system of some d20 games, the Heroic paths of Midnight in other settings to help diminish magic item dependence, and a class-based Defense rating, among other things. I have yet to institute any of those, though; but magic items, prestige classes, monsters, and other simple ports from a variety of sources have all made their way into my games.

Allanon

Explorer
Scarred Lands, Eberron and in a much smaller way Forgotten Realms.
Some minor elements from Planescape but I find that most things don't really work for me outside of the setting (except maybe moral ambiguity which has been prominantly featured in every campaign I've run).

Last edited:

Varangian

First Post
The two I take the most from are not on your list, Greyhawk and Midnight. When I get around to reading the stuff I have for Scarred Lands, it will probably make the list as well.

Varangian

X-Marks!

First Post
From d20

I would have added Midnight. I'd have voted for Dawnforge -- it looked like it was going to another great one, in reading and reviews alike -- except it died a very quick death as far as I can tell. A true shame there.

Overall, any WotC or S&S work is prime territory for reaping and sowing of course. Green Ronin is a favourite, but they don't really have one setting to tie all the D&D/d20 resource material together, unless you count Freeport as covering it, (which I don't thus far).

Gez

First Post
I loot from what I know. Eberron, FR, Scarred Lands generic stuff (the CC and RR). From Diamond Throne, mostly a few classes and races (witch, runethane, faen), and even then, they're a bit tweaked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads