D&D 5E Which Undermountain Book for my 5e Waterdeep Campaign?

plancktum

First Post
Hi,

at the moment I'm starting to run a Waterdeep Campaign. As I want to build in a few Dungeons in Undermountain I've started to search for Information about this giant dungeon complex.

Now I'm not sure which of the two books
Expedition to Undermountain from 3e
or
Halls of Undermountain from 4e
are of more use for my 5e campaign. Maybe some of you which have both books can help me?
The 4e Book is quite attractive because it's still available in print form, whereas the 3e book is only available in pdf form for a reasonable price ;)
I've read a few reviews and both books seem to be ok.

So, as always: I really appreciate your help :)

best regards

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
If you can track it down the 2e box set Undermountain is probably the most comprehensive covering of Undermountain you can get.

Dkase

First Post
I haven't played either the 3E or the 4E versions of the Undermountain, so I can offer no opinion on those. I have played two of the Undermountain campaigns from 2E, the first one is better, though it does contain a lot of empty rooms. A good way to introduce the PCs to the dungeon is to have them stay at the Yawning Portal in Waterdeep. The well beneath it leads to the first dungeon and from there you can have them go where you want, maybe even use the random dungeon generator from the DMG! I think in the 5E world, Halaster is no more, but some of his apprentices might still be around. I'm also pretty sure that Skull Port was abandoned in 4E, but whose to say that someone or something hasn't opened it back up again?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I only have the 2nd ed box and the modules from that ed and the box is amazing.
The books you name are adventures. The box is more like a setting with a few hooks to introduce players into the dungeon.
I you can have both boxes you will have everything you need.
Empty rooms in old ed are for you to fill them with random tables, not only wandering monsters.

plancktum

First Post
Yeah, I've also read a few times that the 2e boxed set is gorgeous, but it's quite expensive to get it.
Therefore I'm stuck with the other books.

I'm just want to use the book as inspirational material. I will nevertheless build my own stuff into undermountain.

jrowland

First Post
Yeah, I've also read a few times that the 2e boxed set is gorgeous, but it's quite expensive to get it.
Therefore I'm stuck with the other books.

I'm just want to use the book as inspirational material. I will nevertheless build my own stuff into undermountain.

If I was more organized, I'd dig it out of the basement and sell it to you cheap. But alas, my basement is a chaotic jumble of a fire hazard and I can't be bothered to dig it up.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
The 2e boxed sets (I and II, though I is better) ranks as one of the better (if not the best) boxed sets of that era. The maps are simply...great.

Remove ads