• Foundry

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Tabletop Simulator

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 17.8%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I see that Foundry and Roll20 get more love here than Fantasy Grounds. One of the things I love about Fantasy Grounds is the automation, especially if you know enough to create your own effects and the like. It makes running rules heavy games like Pathfinder 1E a breeze. Do Foundry or Roll20 have the same level of automation?
Foundry is not great with 5e, compared to FG. You have to test and fiddle with lots of community created mods to get automation working and I've never gotten it to the point where it "just works".

But the Pathfinder community has done amazing things in Foundry and I would say that Foundry, with the pathfinder-community mods, is probably the best VTT for pathfinder.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
2e gets more love, but there seems to be pretty solid support for 1e. I don't have any experience running PF games. I just helped someone from my group who DMs PF 1e test create a PF world on my instance of Foundry to test it before deciding on buying Foundry for his games. He found it good enough for PF1 that he bought it, but as a non-PF guy, I was really blown away with what the community has done for PF2 on Foundry. Very jealous as a 5e GM.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I am mulling an Abomination Vaults campaign but am stuck on whether to wait for 5E or use PF2, and if PF2 whether to spend the $200 it will take to get everything I need for Fantasy grounds.
Hoo boy... I did not like PF2 Abomination Vaults. I dont think PF2 does megadungeon/sandbox well. Though there are tons of opinions on that around her eon EN world. Not to dissuade you from trying PF2, but maybe Foundry is a cheaper route?

Reynard

Legend
Hoo boy... I did not like PF2 Abomination Vaults. I dont think PF2 does megadungeon/sandbox well. Though there are tons of opinions on that around her eon EN world. Not to dissuade you from trying PF2, but maybe Foundry is a cheaper route?
I am running Rappan Athuk now so I might not even be in the mood for another crawl. What PF2 AP would you suggest? Didn't they update Kingmaker for PF2?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I am running Rappan Athuk now so I might not even be in the mood for another crawl. What PF2 AP would you suggest? Didn't they update Kingmaker for PF2?
I would jump at Kingmaker in a heart beat for PF2 if I was you. (Played it in PF1)

Retreater

Legend
I am mulling an Abomination Vaults campaign but am stuck on whether to wait for 5E or use PF2, and if PF2 whether to spend the $200 it will take to get everything I need for Fantasy grounds.
I don't know what the cost for that is on Fantasy Grounds, but if you legally buy the 3 separate PDFs from Paizo, it's free to import those onto Foundry (one-time fee of $50 to buy the license to GM it). I tried running it on Roll20, manually adding every unique monster and maps, and I can tell you that $50 fee for automation was well worth the dozens of hours it would take to install the whole thing.
Yeah. My opinion is that AV was not good as an Adventure Path or even as a megadungeon. (It's not nearly up there with Rappan Athuk.)
Kingmaker for PF2 got developed by a 3PP (Legendary Games?). It's something like 2 years late getting released. I believe it is slated to be available in retail in October (with preorders shipping out sooner).
My take on it (running in PF1 all those years ago).
1) The first two adventures are really good.
2) The third adventure doesn't fit with the others.
3) Adventures four and five are basically repeats of the same themes and types of opponents, with the names changed.
4) Adventure six requires such a crazy jump in power for the characters that it seemed impossible.
5) Unless you get the whole group invested in the kingdom-running aspect, you're going to have lots of bored players.

Hex08

Hero
5) Unless you get the whole group invested in the kingdom-running aspect, you're going to have lots of bored players.
This is why I never bought it to run under PF 1E.I just didn't see most of my players at the time getting into that part of the adventure.

Remove ads