Which Would You Do And Why?

In your fan-work campaign supplement, would you discuss non-SRD elements?

• Yes, everything in D&D is in my campaign!

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No, because WotC says I can't include them.

Votes: 9 47.4%

CrimsonHawk

First Post
I am (very slowly) writing a campaign setting for share with the world. It'll be packaged as a campaign guide/player's guide, since that seems to be a winning strategy. I intend it to be a fan-work, not a for-profit project... I'll probably post the books on Scribd and share the links here when I'm finally done.

The thing that worries me is the GSL in respects to the PHB2. Apparently, only the half-orc, gnome, barbarian, bard, druid, and sorcerer are included in the SRD. When I asked on Gleemax whether this was intentional or if they simply had not gotten around to including the deva, goliath, shifter, avenger, invoker, shaman, and warden yet, I didn't get an answer... instead I got a jackhole with an intellectual superiority complex who decided it would be physically stimulating to him to lecture to me about intellectual property rights rather than actually answer my question. Then the forum went fallow.

If my assumptions are correct (and mind you I still haven't gotten my assumptions confirmed or denied yet), then if I were to follow the GSL to the letter, I would never mention deva, goliaths, shifters, avengers, invokers, shamans, and wardens in my setting books.

That bothers me. A LOT. I have spent a great deal of time warming up to the concept of "if it appears in the rules, it's somewhere in the world." If one of my readers wanted to play a deva invoker in my setting, they'd have to ask their personal DM how deva and invokers fit into the world... since I can't explain it in my books.

So, here is my primary question (although someone giving an informative and polite response to the question I've discussed above would be greatly appreciated, too). If you were writing a fan-work, free-to-share campaign book for your personal campaign to share with the world at large, would you still discuss the "forbidden elements" from the PHB2 in your books, or would you respect the GSL to the letter and forego discussing them?

Thanks a million for your courteous and thoughtful responses! :)

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Um. The second. Hands down. Only use the GSL, or do not pass go, and do not collect two hundred bucks.

Thems the breaks, but oh well.

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Um. The second. Hands down. Only use the GSL, or do not pass go, and do not collect two hundred bucks.

Thems the breaks, but oh well.

So I take it the answer to my "embedded" question is "Yes, they were left out deliberately"?

Also, you explained what you would do, but you didn't explain why.

Henrix

Explorer
Uh, I managed to miscast my vote. I meant to say that I'd include them.

If it's a free fan work that earns no money I think it's fair. Perhaps you shouldn't include any stats, or if you must, mask them so that it isn't entirely evident what they are.
The worst thing that can happen is that WotC would ask you to take it down, but I don't think they'd bother - as long as you're not making money out of it or spreading crunch around that's in the book.

Jack99

Adventurer
I am pretty sure you can mention whatever you want without getting sued. As long as you do not copy/paste stat-blocks etc.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Remember, with the GSL you have to be approved by WotC, unlike the OGL.

If its a fan work you won't be selling, don't worry about it. Don't put copyrighted stuff online (like powers and such), of course, but just saying "Goliaths live in the northern mountains and shifters live in the southern forests" isn't going to get you in trouble.

Remove ads