Whirlwind attack/spring attack question

Mithril Man

First Post
Can spring attack and whirlwind attack be used in tandem? In other words, could a character move forward 15 feet, whirlwind attack, then spring back 15 feet all in one round?

If so, this works nicely with boots of striding and springing...

Also, could a character only move their normal rate under such conditions?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Benefit: When you perform the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within 5 feet.

Full attack action = 5' step or less.

If you have haste you could move then whirl or whirl then move, but no move 15" whirl, move another 15'.

--Spinning Spikey

Mithril Man

First Post
Are you sure? Too bad--it has been my trademark move in the campaign I'm playing in. I guess those stealthy-attack feats aren't so great after all--mobility, spring attack, whirlwind attack; maybe i should have gone the power attack, cleave, great cleave route; at least if I wanted the full min-max effect (which I don't).

Anyways, I thought that a character can move their full rate before or after an attack? Or is that only a partial attack?

So if my character, who has boots of striding and springing and has a base move rate of 60 feet, wanted to use spring attack and move forward 30 feet, attack, then jump back 30 feet, he couldn't whirlwind attack, right? But he could still make all of his (two; he's 6th level) attacks, yes?

bret

First Post
Mithril Man said:
So if my character, who has boots of striding and springing and has a base move rate of 60 feet, wanted to use spring attack and move forward 30 feet, attack, then jump back 30 feet, he couldn't whirlwind attack, right? But he could still make all of his (two; he's 6th level) attacks, yes?

He couldn't do either.

If he moves more than 5' as part of his action, he can only get a single attack.

The only way I know of to get more than a single attack while moving more than 5' is Pounce, which is not generally available to characters. Become a were-tiger and you could get a full attack after a charge. Even as a Were-tiger, I don't think you could WWA after moving.

Haste would give you an additional partial action. This would allow you to use your partial action to spring in and make a single attack, then use your standard action to WhirlWind Attack. That is about as close as you can come to what you are describing.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
What about a weapon master with the ki whirlwind ability (ability to make a WWA as a "partial action")? Any thoughts, all?

I would allow that with spring attack. I'm pretty sure there have been ruling that say you can do anything that is the equivalent of an attack with spring attack.

If not there should be.

--Dervish Spikey

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Mithril Man said:
1. So if my character, who has boots of striding and springing and has a base move rate of 60 feet, wanted to use spring attack and move forward 30 feet, attack, then jump back 30 feet, he couldn't whirlwind attack, right?
2. But he could still make all of his (two; he's 6th level) attacks, yes?
1. No.
2. No. (To do all you attacks beyond the first is a full round action, a standard action lets you only have one attack.)
(So with spring attack, you can run up and attack once and run back)
(Haste will also give you the extra partial action so you can use a full round action to whirlwind)

Anyway, if you have SaF (Sword and Fist) there is a PrC (Prestige Class) called the "Weapon Master" (p.39) at 9th level he gains a power called "ki whirlwind" this lets him do whirlwind attacks as a standard action instead of full-round.
So, if you do get a character that high a level he can do both his 'spring attack' and 'whirlwind' in the same round. :)

Chun-tzu

First Post
bret said:
The only way I know of to get more than a single attack while moving more than 5' is Pounce, which is not generally available to characters. Become a were-tiger and you could get a full attack after a charge. Even as a Were-tiger, I don't think you could WWA after moving.

There's a prestige class in OA called the Singh Rager. At 4th level, the Rager gains Lion's Pounce, an extraordinary ability that lets the Rager make a full attack at the end of a charge (although i don't think you can combine a charge with Spring Attack or Whirlwind Attack).

Artoomis

First Post
Chun-tzu said:

There's a prestige class in OA called the Singh Rager. At 4th level, the Rager gains Lion's Pounce, an extraordinary ability that lets the Rager make a full attack at the end of a charge (although i don't think you can combine a charge with Spring Attack or Whirlwind Attack).

According to the Sage, you can charge with Spring Attack (though I disagree).

Remove ads