White Wolf sues Sony over the movie "Underworld"

MEG Hal

First Post
WHITE WOLF, INC. and author NANCY A. COLLINS sue SONY PICTURES, SCREEN GEMS and LAKESHORE ENTERTAINMENT for "Underworld" copyright infringement

Atlanta, GA, 5 September 2003—White Wolf, Inc. and Nancy A. Collins yesterday filed suit in US District court in Atlanta, Georgia against defendants Sony Pictures, Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment, alleging 17 counts of copyright infringement for the film Underworld, set for release on September 19. White Wolf alleges that Underworld characters, theme and setting are based on White Wolf’s award winning games Vampire: The Masquerade® and Werewolf: The Apocalypse™, both set in White Wolf’s fictional World of Darkness®. Further, Collins alleges that Underworld’s script is based on her 1994 story Love of Monsters, published by White Wolf and also set in the World of Darkness.

Plaintiffs claim over 60 points of unique similarity between Underworld and their work. "Ours is a huge fictional world, supported by over 200 volumes of fictional material," asserts Mike Tinney, White Wolf’s President. "It’s infuriating to see Underworld’s script riddled with our property." Plaintiffs also claim that Underworld’s entire plot is based on Collins’ short story Love of Monsters. "Apparently they are marketing this as a remake of Romeo and Juliet," comments Collins. "What I think they really mean is that it’s an on-screen adaptation of my story."

White Wolf and Collins are seeking immediate injunctive relief and damages. "The volume of confusion in our marketplace is amazing," observes Tinney, "our fans think they’re going to be seeing our film. Of course, if the movie gets released, in a way they will be."

Please direct press inquiries to:
for White Wolf: R. Schaeffer, 404-292-1819 x200
for Collins: Pamela Koslyn, 310-271-1833; or Nancy A. Collins, 678-637-2407

Wombat

First Post
Given how long I've been seeing info on this film...

...why are they just filing suit now? Why not, say, four+ months ago?

Then again, I am not a huge fan of WoD and I am not planning to see the film, so it don't make no nevermind to me ;)

ForceUser

Explorer
Go get 'em, White Wolf. I'd be pissed too. Even from a 30 second TV commerical, I could see the elements of World of Darkness.

That said, it looks like a cool movie.

Ranger REG

Explorer
If White Wolf wins, we won't see the movie and Kate Beckinsale.

Personally, I'd rather White Wolf ride on the movie's success rather than trying to impose an injunction if it goes to court, but I think they believe the movie won't be that great as Kindred: The Embraced.

And as much as I want Sony to challenge the claim of infringement (we don't know if there is an actual infringement under the IP law), I think they're going to settle this out-of-court. That means, White Wolf gets richer.

Valiantheart

First Post
So...what White Wolf was the first company to put Vampires against Werewolves? Somebody better go round up Dracula vs the Wolfman and the Howling 5 quick before WW sues over their "original" idea.

This is like Bram Stoker suing Anne Rice for writing about vampires.

Wombat said:
...why are they just filing suit now? Why not, say, four+ months ago?

They may have gone the usual route. Lawyer sends a letter, waits for response. 30 days later, lawyer sends another letter, waits for response. In the interim, the studio lawyers open the file and fire off a letter back saying nothing. Rinse, repeat for two months.

But even if they didn't, say WW and the author draft and file their suit. Depending on jurisdiction, you have anywhere from 21 to 90 days to then serve the S&C. If you're giving it to a sheriff or a civil process server, they might take up to 5 weeks to perfect service. Then there's a variable length of time to file an answer and appearance. Four months is common. Now, I haven't read the article yet. I might be way off. :D

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I'm a litigation claims adjuster. This is not legal advice. Do not confuse legal advice with common sense either. ;)

Cedric

First Post
There is a really good reason for them to sue Sony now and not earlier. If they sued Sony when the movie was announced, before the marketing money was spent, Sony could delay the project indefinitely and bog this down in litigation.

At this point, it's really too late for Sony to just cancel or delay the movie. They are going to have to cough up some money to White Wolf, most likely in the form of a settlement out of court.

Cedric

AeroDm

First Post
Sounds good to me.

Sony has already made the movie, so they'll pay out and send it to the theatres. I'll see it, enjoy it.

Sony will make a lot of money from it.

White wolf will get some cash that sony thinks is nothing but matters to White Wolf.

Everyone wins. I lose $7.50, Sony and White Wolf make a lot of money.

Remove ads