Whither the artifacts?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I am trying to track down all the artifacts that originally appeared in Eldritch Wizardry (i.e., the first set of artifacts in print for D&D), and where they ended up in 3e. I have tracked many of them down, but some are still elusive.

These are the ones I know about (AEG=Arms & Equipment Guide, BOED=Book of Exalted Deeds, BOVD=Book of Vile Darkness, DMG=Dungeon Master's Guide, ELH=Epic Level Handbook):

Axe of the Dwarvish Lords - ELH
Codex of the Infinite Planes - ELH
Crystal of the Ebon Flame - AEG
Eye of Vecna - DMG
Hand of Vecna - DMG
Invulnerable Coat of Arnd - ELH
Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless - AEG, BOVD
Jacinth of Inestimable Beauty - AEG
Regalia of Might - AEG, BOVD, BOED
Ring of Gaxx - ELH
Rod of Seven Parts - AEG
Wand of Orcus - BOVD, FC1

So that leaves these:

Baba Yaga's Hut
Heward's Mystical Organ
Horn of Change
Mace of Cuthbert
Machine of Lum the Mad
Mighty Servant of Leuk-o
Orbs of Dragonkind
Queen Ehlissa's Marvelous Nightingale
Sword of Kas
Throne of the Gods

Did any of those 10 appear anywhere in 3.0 or 3.5? I know some of them were mentioned in various places, but I am looking for game stats. Some of them are must-haves for a game I am putting together, so if I have to stat them myself I will, but the less work I have to do the better. ;)

dream66_

First Post
While I surprised that the Orbs of Dragonkind or Sword of Kas never saw print in 3.x, you've listed everywhere I could think to see it, and I can't remember any of them.

Endur

First Post
Google is your friend.

Mace of St. Cuthbert and Orbs of Dragonkind are on the same page in the DMG 3.5 as the hand and eye of Vecna. Sword of Kas is on the next page.

Baba Yaga's Hut was in an issue of dungeon, I believe. Some of the others were in dungeon or dragon.

grodog

Hero
Kevin---

You might check LGJ#2 to see if there's anything on Lum/Luek-O artifacts. IIRC there's an article in there about a demi-plane related to them, but I don't recall if the artifacts themselves are detailed therein or not.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Thanks! I will convert the last few myself if there is no 3rd edition baseline, but it helps if I can find one. :)

Ripzerai

Explorer
The Mighty Servant of Leuk-o was detailed on Wizards of the Coast's website.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk, page 205, gives statistics for one of the Servant's arms, which has apparently become separated from the rest of it.

Baba Yaga's Hut appears in the Pathfinder adventures The Shackled Hut and The Witch Queen's Revenge.

The Pathfinder supplement Artifacts & Legends also contains a number of these artifacts, including the Orbs of Dragonkind and Baba Yaga's Hut.

The Horn of Change was referenced in "Chambers of Antiquities" in Dungeon #124.

Tuerny's Flask appeared in "Enemies of My Enemy" in Dungeon #149, as did the Wand of Orcus.

I would recommend statting the Machine of Lum the Mad and the Mighty Servant of Leuk-o using Monte Cook's Chaositech, personally. It seems to me to have the right flavor (ancient, forgotten pseudo-technology that blends blasphemous science with sorcery, driving the user insane). Imagine a Galchutt is imprisoned in one or both, its lifeforce empowering the device's effects. The WotC version of the Mighty Servant has a demon in it, which is one of the things chaositech can do.

Tome of Artifacts contains none of the above-mentioned artifacts, but it's still a very good book.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Thank you, sir! Does the Horn of Change in Dungeon #124 have much of a description, or is it more of a "this is what happened"? Looking at the old "Book of Artifacts", I may be able to fairly easily convert it myself.

Ripzerai

Explorer
It's more of a "this is what happened," though you might borrow aspects of the magical anomaly there that the Horn of Change created.

Last edited:

Remove ads