• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who are the Harpells of Longsaddle?

dreaded_beast

First Post
I've head mention of them here and there, but I don't know that much about them or what the big deal is (at least, some people consider them a big deal :))

If anyone can give me as much info as they can, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

devilish

Explorer
Is that Harpells or Harpers?

The Harpers is a secret society in the Realms.
Someone more informed than I could say more ...

shilsen

Adventurer
They're a family of eccentric wizards who live in the Ivy Mansion in the village of Longsaddle, which is south of Mirabar and east of the Neverwinter Wood. A number of them show up in R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books (esp. the Icewind Dale trilogy and the Legacy of the Drow series), including Harkle, Bidderdoo, DelRoy and Regweld Harpell.

I haven't read much about FR, so that's all I know.

Arnwyn

First Post
And shilsen got it in one.

Sources:
- Novels: the Legacy of the Drow series is best (especially Siege of Darkness), but the Icewind Dale trilogy is also good (Streams of Silver in particular, IIRC).
- Volo's Guide to the North ("Longsaddle" entry)
- FR Atlas (basic map of the Ivy Mansion)

Sunderstone

First Post
I think there was mention of Malchor Harpell somewhere in 2nd edition. Supposedly a powerful wizard.

edit** I think in FR5 The Savage North

Last edited:

They are a family of wizards, as Shilsen said, who tend more to the whimsical than the destructive.

They certainly have the ability to toss the odd fireball when its necessary, but they vastly prefer to work in more subtle - and, hopefully, more diplomatic - ways.

For instance, upon entering the Harple "castle," horses and other mounts are targeted with a Reduce Animals effect, and kept in a barn that resembles a pet shop's hamster / gerbil wall more than anything else. This reduces care and feeding and housing costs.

Faraer

Explorer
Malchor Harpell is a member of the Company of Crazed Venturers, a player character played by Victor Selby c.1979-83. See City of Splendors, as well as the sources Arnwyn cites. Bob Salvatore played with his strange family in his novels, which a lot of people have read.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
I also recall that one of the Harpells has a magical crossbreed as a riding mount...part horse, part frog, if I remember correctly (and maybe part something else as well). I think its name was Puddlejumper.

Johnathan

shilsen

Adventurer
Richards said:
I also recall that one of the Harpells has a magical crossbreed as a riding mount...part horse, part frog, if I remember correctly (and maybe part something else as well). I think its name was Puddlejumper.

Johnathan
That's Regweld, IIRC, who takes part in the defence of Mithril Hall in "Siege of Darkness" (as do Harkle and Bidderdoo).

dreaded_beast

First Post
Thanks everyone.

I just skimmed through a copy of Streams of Silver, and sure enough, there they were. I happened to remember that the whole "overbridge/underbridge" portion was something I didn't care for the first time around. This time, I am ambivalent, leaning a little more to still disliking it though.

However, I do like how the Harpells are presented.

Can anyone give more detailed info?

Howabout their contribution to the battle of Mithril Hall

Remove ads