Who created this 'Revolutionary RPG Format'?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I got a press release today from a company called Andrews McMeel Publishing. I'm not familiar with them (my experience is mainly with RPG publishers), but they claim to have created what they call a revolutionary RPG format: Phone PDFs. The PR is pasted below.

The release contained a link to Zweihander, which I tried to download, but it was a ZIP file, and iPhones can't open those natively (unless I'm doing something wrong). So I haven't been able to check out the actual product. [edit, apparently they can in the latest iOS update]

But when I mentioned the PR on Twitter, a DTRPG rep replied "DriveThruRPG created the format, built the Pugmire Phone PDF, then invited other publishers (including AMP) to make their games in that format. The Zweihander PDF is very cool and I am happy they jumped into this new format after DTRPG showed them the potential and instructions."

Wait, what? Pugmire? That wasn't in the PR. And apparently AMP didn't create the format, they were just invited to use it.

I've asked for more info. In the meantime, this is the PR I got, which basically leads the reader to believe it's a format created by AMP for the Zweihander game. They also claim to be the first traditional RPG publisher, but I'm not sure what that means. Daniel Fox, author of Zweihander, was recently hired by AMP as their RPG staffer, which probably explains that bit.

[PR] AMP AND DRIVETHRURPG CREATE A REVOLUTIONARY RPG FORMAT
Kansas City, MO – Leading role-playing game (RPG) retailer DriveThruRPG.com and Andrews McMeel Publishing (AMP) are pleased to announce an exciting new format for digital tabletop RPGs: Phone PDF.

Gamers increasingly use digital PDFs of RPG products, which work well for desktop computers but make for a poor experience on phones and tablets because they do not address common user experience and accessibility challenges. This new format solves these issues by utilizing an optimized, mobile-first design.

“We are incredibly pleased to be working with DriveThruRPG to revolutionize the way role-playing gamers use our products,” said Daniel D. Fox, Executive Creative Director, Games at AMP, and author of Zweihänder Grim & Perilous RPG. “The Phone PDF is an excellent resource for users who prefer their mobile device at the game table, don’t have the book on hand to look up an important game rule or are on the go.”

Designed with both Android and Apple users in mind and optimized for older and newer devices, Phone PDF maintains mobile swipe functionality and includes useful features like global navigation, a history tool, interactive index and hyperlinked content throughout.

Andrews McMeel Publishing is the first traditional publisher to move into the $65 million RPG industry. “Integral to AMU’s 50 years of success is our unique ability to be nimble and entrepreneurial, to evolve and to identify new markets,” said AMP President and Publisher Kirsty Melville. “This endeavor with DriveThruRPG demonstrates our commitment to the extension of our products and to reaching new audiences in innovative ways.”

The first title offered in Phone PDF format is Zweihänder Grim & Perilous RPG. The 672-page dark fantasy RPG was the 2018 winner at Gen Con for Best Game and Product of the Year, and the new Phone PDF is now available exclusively at DriveThruRPG. Users can download it for free until 11:59 p.m. CDT, Oct. 11, 2019, after which the price will be $19.99.

Other tabletop role-playing games from Andrews McMeel Publishing will follow the new Phone PDF format (along with print, Kindle, ePub and traditional Digital PDF formats), with Main Gauche Grim & Perilous Supplement slated for release in November 2019 and Zweihänder Grim & Perilous RPG: Player’s Handbook in December 2019. Phone PDF and Digital PDF bundles will also be available at point of purchase, exclusively through DriveThruRPG.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
My iPhone can open zip files. But I think it’s the file/folder changes in iOS 13 that enabled that.

it didn’t work without jumping through hoops before.

I wasn't terribly interested in Zweihander before, and the idea of a phone format doesn't sound terribly appealing to me, but since it's PWYW at the moment... I'd buy that for a dollar.

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
My wife and I had the same reaction to this press release: how is it revolutionary to have a larger font to make it easier to read and to reformat it? It's not different than a mobile view and a desktop view for a website...

That being said, it is nice to have it reformatted for phones and I will be interested to see if it picks up. However, it is (essentially) doing twice the layout work, which could actually increase costs for the PDFs.

I picked up Zweihander more to see the new format than anything else (dark fantasy is not my cup of tea, so to speak)

Glad you're following up about Pugmire, Morrus. Keep up the good work.

Speaking for myself, accessible phone-format pdfs do have utility - and speaking as someone whose eyes are getting weaker, that's a good thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
got a press release today from a company called Andrews McMeel Publishing. I'm not familiar with them...

I think they are best known for being publishers of collections of comic strips - The Far Side, Foxtrot, and Calvin and Hobbes collections all come from Andrews McMeel.

Wait, what? Pugmire? That wasn't in the PR.

More specifically, the phrase, "The first title offered in Phone PDF format is Zweihänder..." is in the PR. If that isn't accurate, they need to correct it.

And apparently AMP didn't create the format, they were just invited to use it. And also, the AMP release links to a ZIP file, which iPhones can't open.

With respect, Morrus, they don't say they created the format. Nor do they really imply it. The very first sentence of the PR is, "Leading role-playing game (RPG) retailer DriveThruRPG.com and Andrews McMeel Publishing (AMP) are pleased to announce..." They later speak of their, "endeavor with DriveThruRPG." That outright sounds like a pairing or partnership. The press release is not really a place to present teh work breakdown structure of who did what technical or layout work for the product.

Joint PRs generally have to be approved by both parties before release. That suggests DTRPG is okay with the representation. If DTRPG is unhappy with how they are represented in this PR, then they can say so.

They also claim to be the first traditional RPG publisher, but I'm not sure what that means.

Not quite. They say they are the first traditional publisher to move into the RPG industry. That hinges on what a "traditional publisher" is. If you can find an RPG published and given support by Penguin Random House, Harper Collins, Macmillan, or Simon and Schuster, you may have an argument.

I can think of one game - Darksword Adventures (the RPG based on the Weis & Hickman "Darksword" book series), was published by Bantam Spectra. But it was only one book (standard paperback novel format) and never had any follow-up, so I don't know if you can call that "moving into the industry".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With respect, Morrus, they don't say they created the format. Nor do they really imply it. The very first sentence of the PR is, "Leading role-playing game (RPG) retailer DriveThruRPG.com and Andrews McMeel Publishing (AMP) are pleased to announce..."

No it's not. The first sentence is "AMP and DriveThruRPG create a revolutionary RPG format".

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 23.00.08.png

If DTRPG is unhappy with how they are represented in this PR, then they can say so.

I don't think anybody is claiming DTRPG can't say so. Indeed, they already corrected that info.

The reason this even came up is because DTRPG's Matt McElroy corrected me when I shared it on Twitter, and I don't like being the one spreading incorrect info:

Me: AMP and DriveThruRPG Create a Revolutionary RPG Format [link].

Matt: The Pugmire PDF was the first one (created by the DTRPG team). It was used as the sample of what the format could be when other publishers were then invited to make their Phone PDFs. AMP was one of the first publishers to sign up after the invite.

Me: Have you guys (DTRPG) got an announcement of your own?

Matt: Working on it. A schedule change launched the whole thing out of order with other stuff so things are a little out of alignment atm.

Last edited:

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Joint PRs generally have to be approved by both parties before release. That suggests DTRPG is okay with the representation. If DTRPG is unhappy with how they are represented in this PR, then they can say so.
Hey gang,

Daniel here. DriveThruRPG reviewed and approved the joint PR announcement. I have already reached out to Scott Holden at OBS to alert him about the confusion, and if any corrections need to be addressed.

Cheers,
-d.fx

Remove ads