Who else finds it difficult to act serious at the gaming table

edge3343

First Post
I have a tought time with this. Not that I don't take the game seriously. I do. I respect teh rules and my fellow gamers pals. But I have a hard time not playing a character that is slightly goofy, or burdened with some quirk that makes them funny/not too serious character.

For instance, I currently play an Elf Barb with an INT of 5. I have played characters that never bathed and had a penchant for smelly cheeses, as well as a pyromaniac sourcerer.

Who else feels more comefortable rolplaying the slightly un-ballanced/goofy/wierd characters rather than more serious ones?

BlackMoria

First Post
Not I. Goofy gets one dead really quick in our campaigns. Not because the DM (me) goes gunning for said characters.

It is just that 'mooning' the BBEG (don't laugh, I had a player whose character actually did this) usually comes to no good real quick.

Goofy has consequences. Make lame jokes about King Alric (not known for his sense of humor) usually means you get to check out the local cusine in King Alric's dungeon.

That is not to say that our group doesn't have it lighter moments. We just realize that constantly acting goofy or zaney has repercussions....

eris404

Explorer
We have a problem staying on topic - we tend to joke around out of character quite a bit. Every so often someone will come up with a funny character, like the half-orc with a 4 charisma who wears barbed wire and plucked out an eye in honor of his god (I guess you had to be there), but that's usually in the more light-hearted campaigns.

Actually, one of our players is almost never serious. He makes references in character to comic books. movie quotes and other pop culture oddities and tends to play slightly weird characters. No one minds much and the other DMs tend to play "straight guy" to his antics. He's not disruptive or a bad role-player, he just wants everyone to have fun.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I'm a "have fun" type of player and DM, so anything really goes at my gaming table. I don't like characters that are goofy for goofy's sake, but I want people to have a good time.

edge3343

First Post
BlackMoria said:
Not I. Goofy gets one dead really quick in our campaigns. Not because the DM (me) goes gunning for said characters.

It is just that 'mooning' the BBEG (don't laugh, I had a player whose character actually did this) usually comes to no good real quick.

Goofy has consequences. Make lame jokes about King Alric (not known for his sense of humor) usually means you get to check out the local cusine in King Alric's dungeon.

That is not to say that our group doesn't have it lighter moments. We just realize that constantly acting goofy or zaney has repercussions....

No no no, I'd never do anything tacticly stupid. Don't get me wrong, I like for my characters to survive as much as the next guy.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I think it depends on the mood the GM sets and whether or not the players can keep follow along.

alsih2o

First Post
Edge is in my group and I have to sya he has my perfect balance of goofy. He actually roleplays an Int 5 character, without the annoying parts. He is funny wihtout being disruptive and keeps the flow going.

His style of goofy is not to do stupid things in combat or to go WAY off-topic, but to bring out the humor in any given situation.

I have never played in a SERIOUS game. But I also have had very few SERIOUS days in mylife, game or no. :)

Chaldfont

First Post
I and the rest of my group find it impossible not to make up silly nicknames for all characters. The more oddball fantasy-type name, the more we have to make fun of it. But sometimes even mundane names fall to our affliction. Even our DM (and I when I DM) tend to start using the nickname instead of the given name. We don't even think about it anymore.

spider_minion

First Post
Funny voices are mandatory for my characters (I love to play pirates, arrrr), and they tend to be kinda one-dimensional and fairly amusing. However, I take things pretty seriously and never act disruptively. I guess its a wierd dicotomy.

As a DM, I try to run serious campaigns, but it almost never works out. As far as I'm concerned, D&D is an inheriently goofy game. And I guess with flying carpets, bags of tricks, half-demon troll necromancers, and psychic dwarven ninjas that run up walls*, that is to be expected.

*Okay, none of these have made appearences in my games, but it illustrates my point

Last edited:

Remove ads