Who Started Playing D&D Indirectly?

Plissken

Explorer
Who Started D&D Indirectly?

What I mean by that is, did you come to know D&D through books (ex. Forgotten Realms) , computer games (Baldur's Gate, Eye of the Beholder), or other means (D&D Cartoon).

I can't remember but I think it was either the Dark Elf Trilogy for me or Baldur's Gate. I think it was Baldur's Gate. When WoTC had physical stores here in Washington State, I remember one day I saw them selling Baldur's Gate and I was like, "this game looks so cool!" After playing the game I remember coming back to the store to see what other stuff they had and I saw the 2nd Ed. AD&D books and the Forgotten Realms box set. I never played until 3rd edition came out which was very, very soon. That was in '99 I think.

Funny story...when I made the Wizard as my main character in Baldur's Gate and I found out I could only cast one spell a day, I was like what!!!! Where's my mana? I did come to love the Vancian system though and am bummed it is not fully intact in 4e.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I became aware of D&D by reading the Dragonlance Chronicles in 1986 or so and watching the D&D cartoon around the same time (ish, I don't remember when the D&D cartoon originally aired), but I got my start playing the game in the "traditional" sense when my older step-brother introduced me to it in 1988ish.

Imperialus

Explorer
I became aware of D&D by reading the Dragonlance Chronicles in 1986 or so and watching the D&D cartoon around the same time (ish, I don't remember when the D&D cartoon originally aired), but I got my start playing the game in the "traditional" sense when my older step-brother introduced me to it in 1988ish.

Ditto. Cept I read Legend of Huma and didn't watch the cartoon until it came out on DVD a couple years back.

daveb22

First Post
I actually began playing with a friend without books and didn't realize what I was playing. We were younger and he had an older friend who he played with but the name of the game never came up lol.

Mercutio01

First Post
I came in through a combination of two things - playing other RPGs (Battletech and Price of Freedom) and reading The Crystal Shard. Both of which I got turned on to in the Boy Scouts in the early 90's.

jephlewis

First Post
Who Started D&D Indirectly?
I didn't start playing D&D indirectly, but I got back into playing indirectly.
I was a hardcore 2E kinda guy, and when wotc released 3E, I had very little to say [but what I did say was dripping with venom].
Fast forward to when I get neverwinter nights, and I'm like "Holy carp! This is awesome!". A few years after that, I bought some of the 3.x books and started playing again. So, NWN-->3.x--->playing again.

avin

First Post
Legend of Zelda > FInal Fantasy VI > Daggerfall > Ultima Underworld II > Planescape > Fallout (the greatest RPG ever).

Aramax

First Post
In 1977 I ran a Swordplay table top combat game that was basicly a dungeon crawl.I said to a friend"Ill bet this is what D&D is like".

Remove ads