• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

TiQuinn

I think that internet crowd overestimates how much casual players give a damn about what wotc as a company does with its licensing. Especialy older players who just play the game and look up from time to time if there is anything new for their game.
I’ve seen this a lot, however, WotC walked back the changes they were proposing early last year. Do you think they would’ve felt the need to do so if the internet crowd was overestimating the impact?

Oofta

Legend
I’ve seen this a lot, however, WotC walked back the changes they were proposing early last year. Do you think they would’ve felt the need to do so if the internet crowd was overestimating the impact?

A lot of people just play the game and ignore social media about WotC.

But WotC did listen to the feedback, reversed the decision and then some by using CC instead. What I don't understand, and I don't seem to be alone on this, is how many people still bring it up at every opportunity. That's different from saying that people should not have reacted negatively to the proposed changes.

TiQuinn

A lot of people just play the game and ignore social media about WotC.

But WotC did listen to the feedback, reversed the decision and then some by using CC instead. What I don't understand, and I don't seem to be alone on this, is how many people still bring it up at every opportunity. That's different from saying that people should not have reacted negatively to the proposed changes.

It’s going to keep coming up until the new edition actually is released and people have a product to play with, I expect. Gaining trust back takes time.

TiQuinn

I don't hold someone responsible for thinking about doing something when I asked them not to do it and they backed off and then some. 🤷‍♂️
This isn’t a person, it’s a corporate entity. They’re driven by fiduciary duty and profit motivations. What you’re saying is the kind of logic you put forward when dealing with an individual. What was asked of them was viewed through the lens of the impact on their brand, and their revenue, not on an emotional level. If they thought there was a way they could’ve done it, or could still do it without financial repercussions, they would do so.

Oofta

Legend
This isn’t a person, it’s a corporate entity. They’re driven by fiduciary duty and profit motivations. What you’re saying is the kind of logic you put forward when dealing with an individual. What was asked of them was viewed through the lens of the impact on their brand, and their revenue, not on an emotional level. If they thought there was a way they could’ve done it, or could still do it without financial repercussions, they would do so.

They didn't lose my trust because I don't trust corporations to do anything other than what they think is best for the corporation. You can't lose trust when there is none to lose.

I only care if they produce a product I think will be worth my money. Well, and don't do something truly egregious but it has to be pretty bad and ongoing to fall into that category.

TiQuinn

They didn't lose my trust because I don't trust corporations to do anything other than what they think is best for the corporation. You can't lose trust when there is none to lose.
Then what does it matter if they “walked it back and then some?”

nevin

Hero
both parties in the US election require undecided voters in undecided states to win and they are both in the process of doubling down trying to make the screaming people on thier bases happy instead of pulling to the undecided centrists who will determine the election. Yes I do think they would because people get stuck in thier bubbles with the people that think like them and most can't imagine that thier bubble is anything but the majority.

Remove ads