• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
out of here GIF

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This is another situation where, now that the story is out there, the truth will out. If you remember back to when the OGL story dropped, we had people who said it wasn't true and were pretty incredulous about it. But once the question was out there, it got out into general discussion, and we soon knew what happened. Now that the "who" part of it is in question, it will just take some time to get there.

Yaarel

He-Mage
I don't care what you call the attempt to change the OGL. Idiot move, mistake, plan from the pit of hell to destroy the industry.
Heh, I lean toward #3.

The people who are still pissed about it will continue to be pissed. Most people either didn't know about it or care anymore.

What does theoretically identifying the person potentially behind it (and as others pointed out, he obviously knew) change?
I consider the matter resolved. The attempt to kill the OGL was egregious. But WotC did good by putting the SRD in CC, course corrected, and future WotC plans look solid.

I look forward to 5e 2024, and for DnDBeyond to sell and digitally support indy companies.

There have always been admirable people working in WotC who care about D&D and the D&D community, and who strongly supported the OGL and open gaming generally. I feel good about supporting these individuals, while the company as a whole looks to be doing the right thing.

Yaarel

He-Mage
For you. For other people, with different values and priorities, it's much more salient. And that's okay.

I disagree. Knowing that this was the brainchild of someone who's still at the helm of the proverbial ship (as opposed to someone who's gone now, like, say, ex-President of WotC Cynthia Williams) matters a great deal.
I dont care about "punishment". I just care about it not happening again. As far as I can tell, it wont.

Remove ads