Who's your Gandalf now, baby?

dougmander

Explorer
Does your campaign have a Gandalf? You know, the mysterious character who shows up to warn the PCs of a great danger threatening the land, or reveal their special destiny? Usually a Gandalf is disliked by respectable folk, often referred to as "that crazy old beggar" or "troublemaker." He may appear when least expected to offer cryptic advice or help the PCs out of a tough scrape.

I want to hear who your Gandalf is, and if you don't have one, do you have any other variant of the "DM Avatar" who serves to point the PCs toward the plot?

Pinotage

Explorer
In one campaign I ran about 5 years ago I had an Aragorn type, though not quite the same. There was also an Elrond type, but I don't think I ever had a Gandalf.

Pinotage

rgard

Adventurer
dougmander said:
Does your campaign have a Gandalf? You know, the mysterious character who shows up to warn the PCs of a great danger threatening the land, or reveal their special destiny? Usually a Gandalf is disliked by respectable folk, often referred to as "that crazy old beggar" or "troublemaker." He may appear when least expected to offer cryptic advice or help the PCs out of a tough scrape.

I want to hear who your Gandalf is, and if you don't have one, do you have any other variant of the "DM Avatar" who serves to point the PCs toward the plot?

Yes, mine is "Pharazin Lightbender, Decimator of Plebes and Illusionist of Ill-Repute." He is my Illusionist from 1st edition. The 'Decimator of Plebes' comes from a DM ruling that the old 1st level Phantasmal Force used to simulate a lightning bolt gave everyone 2 saves. First to disbelieve it is was an illusion, the second was to save against the lightning bolt (for half) if the person failed the first save. With two saves, the only opponents killed were usually low level...plebes...our local gaming vernacular for plebeian or commoner.

Never converted him to 3 or 3.5. Probably won't convert him as the PCs won't ever attack him as the know how I played him in 1st Edition. 1st Edition 'Chaos' is a wonderful spell.

Anyway, Pharazin is flashy, uses a cantrip to make his ale flash like miniature fireworks out of the mug, wears rainbow colored robes, talks loudly (except when imparting the plot hook), is good natured, and always tells the pcs the truth as he knows it.

That's him.

Thanks,
Rich

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I generally try to steer away from such characters, as I shudder everytime I think of the DM PC complex. I know that isn't the case everytime, but now it's such a habit for me, I don't even realize that I avoid the archetype.

dougmander

Explorer
Meowzebub said:
Otter. He is, well, a talking otter. He has given us enigmatic clues on occasion in exchange for fish.

That's pretty cute.

My friend Tom had an NPC in his game named Monty Python, a friendly flying serpent who who would appear to get Tom's little sister's PCs out of hot water.

rgard

Adventurer
SpiderMonkey said:
I generally try to steer away from such characters, as I shudder everytime I think of the DM PC complex. I know that isn't the case everytime, but now it's such a habit for me, I don't even realize that I avoid the archetype.

I like having a high level benefactor (or at least somebody who doesn't go out of his or her way to harm the PCs) who is a regular in the campaign. It is like having the one town the pcs always adventure from...gives a sense of stability/familiarity.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Rich

Greg K

Legend
Not exaclty as neither just shows up. However, I do have two different NPCs that can provide the PCs with possible answers to even the most obscure information in the setting. However, the players have to seek them out as neither of those characters frequently leaves their domicile (on the rare occassions they do leave, it is not to seek out and help the party). Furthermore, there are risks involved with seeking their aid- one may as soon eat those interupting his slumber as help them (well, that is the rumor that built up over the centuries) while the other is rumored to require advance payment in the form of adventurers go off on dangerous quests for obscure items that he needs for various experiments.

Galethorn

First Post
In my last campaign, it was an enigmatic middle-aged man by the name of Qoyor, who was the head of the city's branch of a secret society which was opposed to the guys the PCs were fighting (a different secret society).

He dressed like a beggar and, while a 'mage' (Adept in true20), he had good social skills, and could blend into a crowd.

Remove ads