• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are these spells said to be so good(Divine)?

afata5

First Post
Hey all,

i just don't get it. I have read quite a few places that these following spells are supposed to be great staple spells! But upon reading them, I wonder "Why would you choose these over others?".

I need some perspective help on these...explain to me why they rock please:

Cleric:
Visage of the Deity, Greater (Spell Compendium)

Stormrage

Consumptive Field, Greater

Holy Star

can anyone shed some light? Especially on the 9th level visage spell...

Thanks!

Set

First Post
afata5 said:
Cleric:
Visage of the Deity, Greater (Spell Compendium)

Stormrage

Holy Star

This sounds like a list of spells that people would use Nightsticks and try to Persist all day long. They might sound a little sexier as all-day spells.

If Nightsticks don't exist, and Persist Spell can't modify a spell above the level of spells you could normally cast, then this issue is nerfed sideways with a corncob and these spells return to their regularly scheduled 'meh.'

Pyrex

First Post
afata5 said:
Stormrage
can anyone shed some light?

Stormrage gives the caster the benefits of a Fly spell *and* a ranged touch lightning attack every round for 10min/level.

It's strong. Especially with some way to Maximize it...

Rackhir

Explorer
afata5 said:

This gives the caster a +1 effective caster level, +2 str and extra HP for EVERY creature the field kills. So if you cut loose with it in an area with a lot of 1st lv commoners... Shazam you're a GOD.

Last edited:

drdevoid

Explorer
Pyrex said:
Stormrage gives the caster the benefits of a Fly spell *and* a ranged touch lightning attack every round for 10min/level.

It's strong. Especially with some way to Maximize it...

It's duration is 1 min/level. The half caster level in d6s is disappointing. The lightning attack has a range only slightly better than "close" at that level. SR applies to the attack.

This is really a mop-up-the-scrubs spell.

Zurai

First Post
As Rackhir pointed out, Greater Consumptive Field is near-broken. It can quickly and easily skyrocket the caster to stratospheric levels. It's not good as a PC spell or a solo BBEG spell, but consider the case of a BBEG with 10 level 1 thugs he's deluded into fighting for him. Combat starts, he casts greater consumptive field, he gains 20 strength, 10d8 hit points, and 10 caster levels. Those 1/2 CR thugs just raised the difficulty of the encounter by an amount far exceeding their own challenge rating - by dieing.

afata5

First Post
Thank you for your replies!

We are now level 19, so the bad guys don`t really have lvl less than level 10 mooks to clean up....so unless i go into an village and just activate the spell (we are an evil party so it is very do-able lol) then it isn't worth all that much. Even if the mooks were almost dead, there is still the saving throw.

Regarding the Stormrage, I feel the same way, apart from a very long fly ability (compared to boots of flying) then i don't see a super advantage for that level of spell.

What about Visage of the Deity, Greater ? Whats the deal with that one? I just don't get it for a 9th level spell. Miracle i understand :) Enervation I understand, but visage? Please tell me how i'm seeing it wrong :)

Thanks,

Al

Rackhir

Explorer
afata5 said:
What about Visage of the Deity, Greater ? Whats the deal with that one? I just don't get it for a 9th level spell. Miracle i understand :) Enervation I understand, but visage? Please tell me how i'm seeing it wrong :)

Thanks,

Al

Look up the half-fiend/Half-celestial templates.

afata5

First Post
Rackhir:

I looked it up. It will give me some resistances, 10/magic, I can fly for a few rounds. What else am i misssing....it seems to me that the spell does not allow the spell like abilities.
Most of the time, when you can cast level 9 spells, you already have increased Con, Str, Cha, so those don't stack do they? If i have already have natural armor (due to an item), it does't stack either right?

So if i get it straight, for a lvl 9 spell, I get resistances, minor stat bonus, Decent SR and i can fly.

What am i missing (btw, i am re-reading my posts and i find i sound agressive, i am really not trying to be that way but i am a little frustrated that i can't see the light :) ).

Thanks again to all,

Al

Rackhir

Explorer
afata5 said:
Rackhir:

I looked it up. It will give me some resistances, 10/magic, I can fly for a few rounds. What else am i misssing....it seems to me that the spell does not allow the spell like abilities.
Most of the time, when you can cast level 9 spells, you already have increased Con, Str, Cha, so those don't stack do they? If i have already have natural armor (due to an item), it does't stack either right?

So if i get it straight, for a lvl 9 spell, I get resistances, minor stat bonus, Decent SR and i can fly.

What am i missing (btw, i am re-reading my posts and i find i sound agressive, i am really not trying to be that way but i am a little frustrated that i can't see the light :) ).

Thanks again to all,

Al

They are stat INCREASES not bonuses. So they are straight adds to your scores and its +4 to most stats and +2 to Dex and Int. That's hardly minor.

For a 19th lv char you are getting SR 29 (unless the spell caps it at a lower max than the template, I don't have the SC on me), that's a 50% chance spells will fail against you vs a 19th lvl caster. That can make a HUGE difference in any high level battle.

Your type also changes to Outsider which means some additional immunities.

It is significantly less attractive if it doesn't give you any of the Spell Like Abilities of the templates though. From looking over the references to it in character builds, I get the impression that a lot of the "brokeness" of the spell comes from combining it with Divine Metamagic - Persistent Spell, since that lets you make it last for 24 hrs and thus you can get it's benefits all day. Instead of for just a couple of rounds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads