• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why buy?

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Secondly, as I was reading it, I can't help but think that I'll never use 95% of this stuff...

That realization towards the end of 3.5E is when I realized I was wasting money.
Roughly $30 for a book where I may use one to a dozen pages.

From that point on I got opinions from here, from friends, skimming the book, and asking the game store owner on how useful the book would be to me.

From that point on I spent a lot less on D&D.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I bought it for the support reason (support WotC, support the local store). I kind of regret the decision, as I don't actually like the book very much so far (I don't tend to have much interest in "dark" characters). Still, the original quote would apply to someone like me - I bought it to support the company and the store since I hadn't bought anything else in a while.

nedjer

Adventurer
I just bought this book, mainly because I was at a game store 30 minutes early for a game and I wanted to read it and I wanted to support the game shop because it's been a few months since I bought anything there.

I sorta regret buying it now.

First of all, I got used to the digest version and was disappointed that it came in hardback.

Secondly, as I was reading it, I can't help but think that I'll never use 95% of this stuff...it's entertaining to read, but I would probably be better served spending that $30 to extend my DDI membership by several months or making any other purchase than buy this book.

On the funny side though, our table kept cracking jokes about 'romancing your nethers' all throughout the game. The nethermancer really is an unfortunate name for a class...

Woof! Woof!

ggroy

First Post
I bought it for the support reason (support WotC, support the local store). I kind of regret the decision, as I don't actually like the book very much so far (I don't tend to have much interest in "dark" characters). Still, the original quote would apply to someone like me - I bought it to support the company and the store since I hadn't bought anything else in a while.

I largely stopped buying D&D books, after buying the first two 4E Essentials books. I bought them (and earlier Heinsoo 4E books) at the gaming store I played some weekly 4E D&D Encounters games at.

The only other stuff I bought in recent months from this particular gaming store, is preordering the monthly issues of the IDW D&D and Dark Sun comics series. (This particular gaming store is also a comic book store).

Remove ads