• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why "Curse of Strahd" Is Great [Spoilers]

Retreater

Legend
My fiancee and I have been talking a lot about D&D and campaign design during our quarantine. Her intro to a longterm campaign was 5E's "Curse of Strahd," and while I've been gaming since the 1980s (and played/DMed many iterations of Ravenloft), I've only recently started running "CoS."

So I am collecting my thoughts about why this particular adventure is regularly voted the best of 5e so far, with my theories coming from a place of what DMs can learn from the structure. There will be some spoilers below for "CoS" and other 5e adventures.

1) The plot centers around a great villain.
Strahd has a storied past of decades in D&D, but bigger than that, his literary/pop culture equivalent of Dracula is instantly recognizable. Even for people who don't know D&D lore, you don't really have to explain what a vampire is. In the adventure he has personal stakes and motives. He is connected to the adventurers and singles them out as a threat to his goals. He appears relatively early and lets the party know what the stakes are.
I'm going to contrast him a bit with Acererack from "Tomb of Annihilation" (which I also think is a pretty good adventure, probably the 2nd best of 5e). First off, Acererack is a lich, an evil undead wizard. This is a bit of a stretch for people outside of D&D, but it can be explained pretty easily. He has a storied history of decades in D&D, but he has no personal connection with the characters. He does not make an appearance until the last chapter of the adventure. He does not even have a cult that harasses the group. His name is not mentioned. In fact, the groups I have run through "ToA" are more likely to think that Ras Nsi and the yuan-ti are the main villains. (And honestly, a better story could've been written around them.)
Halaster from "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" is a passive villain, just waiting for the group to go through his fun house. Whoever the villain from "Storm King's Thunder" (I ran it and don't even remember what it was - a shapeshifting dragon that has zero connection to the group?) is even worse.

2) The stakes are clear.
"You want to get out of Barovia? You've got to defeat Strahd."
Compare this to the imprisonment that occurs at the beginning of "Out of the Abyss." Both feature groups coming together imprisoned and banding together against common enemies. However, once the party escapes the drow who imprisoned them in "OotA," there is little motivation to continue facing them. Hell, they aren't even the main antagonists of the campaign. I've run this campaign for several groups. Not a single group has stayed with the adventure after escaping the Underdark. Putting the main plot's resolution at the midpoint of the adventure nearly guarantees no one is going to play the next half.
"SKT" you're putting out fires of giant raids. But what you're doing isn't even connected to the plot of the Ordning conspiracy until the last third of the adventure.

3) The setting is contained, detailed, and thematic.
Most 5e adventures I can think of span hundreds of miles of unconnected wilderness sites, most of which have little or nothing to do with the actual plotline. In Curse of Strahd, every location can contain allies or quest items to defeat the villain or groups connected to the evil of Strahd. This is not the case in "Princes of the Apocalypse," for example, which details numerous adventure sites with nothing to do with the Elemental Cults. The scopes are too big, the presentation watered down, the theme off track, and thus filled with unmemorable adventures so divorced from the main story they can't even be called side quests.
In "Hoard of the Dragon Queen," you travel hundreds of miles in a literal railroad of a site-seeing montage of Faerun, with no connection to the plot.
The setting of Barovia, by contrast, can be crossed by foot in less than 2 days. This space facilitates connection between sites. People in different towns can have relationships. A villain operating in one town can have a base of operation a half day away, which can be explored and defeated. It's all connected. And if this is unrealistic to the DM, you can easily break that connection (which is easier to do than to try to seed connections in a game sessions in advance).

The point of all this is for me to see what works in adventure design. What do you think? Did I miss the mark? All DMs are adventure designers at some time, even if we're running published adventures.

Weiley31

Legend
However, once the party escapes the drow who imprisoned them in "OotA," there is little motivation to continue facing them.
Yeah but if ya just run away, the world is destroyed by the Demon Princes who escape from the Underdark cuz nobody rose up to stop em or assembled the forces.

Nice job breaking it hero!

Ryder

Villager
Very good analysis. I think you make some very accurate points on some of the failing of the other adventures. (Though I feel PotA and HotDQ have multiple other structure problems as well). Currently DMing ToA and playing in OotA, I had planned to quit Wizards adventures and look elsewhere. But I may give a look to Strahd . Thanks

I tend to agree with you. CoS is the best adventure that 5ed has to offer so far. But...
Acererak, though he appears only at the end of the adventure can be a hinderance to the party if you want it. A group that gets too quick too far can be hindered by Acererak with demons and many other threats. When the group starts to wonder who is sending them these demons, a divination or a revelation to Acererak's plot can be given (cryptic or not) that something is aware of them. Not knowing whom or what is working against them can be a great motivator for the PCs.

Halaster Blackcloack is not a static villain. He knows the PCs are in his abode. He knows and though he might not care at first, he will, eventually. It is when he does notice the PC that he will start pestering them with summoned minions and threats. Just like Strahd will attack the PC with a few spells then retreat, so will Halaster. He will want to know their tactics, their strength and weaknesses. At least that how I played him in the 2nd edition and how I will play him when I get to this campaign.

With Sandbox adventures it is always a bit hard on the DM to motivate their players into doing the right thing or just to keep them on the adventure's track. CoS is great in that it alleviate this problem right from the beginning.

In OoA, my players stayed on course for most of the adventure. They did escape the drows but they quickly found that the Demon lords were on the prowl in the underdark and it was only a matter of time before they found their way out. The first village they met when they got out was under demonic attack. They helped save the day but they quickly understood that they had to do something. Demons were attacking everywhere at random and it made them the obvious agents of the surface to help solve the problem as powerhouses were focused on stopping the demons on the surface. The players were enlisted to help forays in the underdark as they had the required experience. For me this adventure went smoothly.

ToD, PoTA SKT, on the other hand, I agree completely. The amount of travelling is staggering and missing a clue can leave the players in total darkness on how to continue on. And in SKT, the main ally is a Cloud Giant. Most group will simply attack him on sight as the report they have is that cloud giants were the attackers... These adventures requires a lot of work for the DM. As for ToYP. It is simply a collection of Dungeon crawl. GoSM is a great adventure, comparable to CoS in playability.

Coroc

Hero
My fiancee and I have been talking a lot about D&D and campaign design during our quarantine. Her intro to a longterm campaign was 5E's "Curse of Strahd," and while I've been gaming since the 1980s (and played/DMed many iterations of Ravenloft), I've only recently started running "CoS."

So I am collecting my thoughts about why this particular adventure is regularly voted the best of 5e so far, with my theories coming from a place of what DMs can learn from the structure. There will be some spoilers below for "CoS" and other 5e adventures.

1) The plot centers around a great villain.
Strahd has a storied past of decades in D&D, but bigger than that, his literary/pop culture equivalent of Dracula is instantly recognizable. Even for people who don't know D&D lore, you don't really have to explain what a vampire is. In the adventure he has personal stakes and motives. He is connected to the adventurers and singles them out as a threat to his goals. He appears relatively early and lets the party know what the stakes are.
I'm going to contrast him a bit with Acererack from "Tomb of Annihilation" (which I also think is a pretty good adventure, probably the 2nd best of 5e). First off, Acererack is a lich, an evil undead wizard. This is a bit of a stretch for people outside of D&D, but it can be explained pretty easily. He has a storied history of decades in D&D, but he has no personal connection with the characters. He does not make an appearance until the last chapter of the adventure. He does not even have a cult that harasses the group. His name is not mentioned. In fact, the groups I have run through "ToA" are more likely to think that Ras Nsi and the yuan-ti are the main villains. (And honestly, a better story could've been written around them.)
Halaster from "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" is a passive villain, just waiting for the group to go through his fun house. Whoever the villain from "Storm King's Thunder" (I ran it and don't even remember what it was - a shapeshifting dragon that has zero connection to the group?) is even worse.

2) The stakes are clear.
"You want to get out of Barovia? You've got to defeat Strahd."
Compare this to the imprisonment that occurs at the beginning of "Out of the Abyss." Both feature groups coming together imprisoned and banding together against common enemies. However, once the party escapes the drow who imprisoned them in "OotA," there is little motivation to continue facing them. Hell, they aren't even the main antagonists of the campaign. I've run this campaign for several groups. Not a single group has stayed with the adventure after escaping the Underdark. Putting the main plot's resolution at the midpoint of the adventure nearly guarantees no one is going to play the next half.
"SKT" you're putting out fires of giant raids. But what you're doing isn't even connected to the plot of the Ordning conspiracy until the last third of the adventure.

3) The setting is contained, detailed, and thematic.
Most 5e adventures I can think of span hundreds of miles of unconnected wilderness sites, most of which have little or nothing to do with the actual plotline. In Curse of Strahd, every location can contain allies or quest items to defeat the villain or groups connected to the evil of Strahd. This is not the case in "Princes of the Apocalypse," for example, which details numerous adventure sites with nothing to do with the Elemental Cults. The scopes are too big, the presentation watered down, the theme off track, and thus filled with unmemorable adventures so divorced from the main story they can't even be called side quests.
In "Hoard of the Dragon Queen," you travel hundreds of miles in a literal railroad of a site-seeing montage of Faerun, with no connection to the plot.
The setting of Barovia, by contrast, can be crossed by foot in less than 2 days. This space facilitates connection between sites. People in different towns can have relationships. A villain operating in one town can have a base of operation a half day away, which can be explored and defeated. It's all connected. And if this is unrealistic to the DM, you can easily break that connection (which is easier to do than to try to seed connections in a game sessions in advance).

The point of all this is for me to see what works in adventure design. What do you think? Did I miss the mark? All DMs are adventure designers at some time, even if we're running published adventures.

It is about the same reason most of the old 2nd ed and also some 1st ed Ravenloft adventures are among the best which was ever officially produced for D&D. Not that I am a Ravenloft superfanboi, but it is the way they are built. They would be as superb and straightforward with any other context, containing all the detail you need for a limited scale scenery, NPCs with motivations and dialog scenes, edgy twists etc. In short everything making life easy and reducing mod time for the DM.

Iry

Hero
Dissecting Curse of Strahd makes me extremely interested in some kind of Lord Soth story. He's a similarly memorable villain with a passionate and emotional backstory, who can be interacted with early in a campaign. Far more personal than the likes of Acererak.

Retreater

Legend
Dissecting Curse of Strahd makes me extremely interested in some kind of Lord Soth story. He's a similarly memorable villain with a passionate and emotional backstory, who can be interacted with early in a campaign. Far more personal than the likes of Acererak.
I was just telling my fiancee that a homebrewed Soth adventure is the next stop after CoS.

Remove ads