Why deciding to round down multiclassing spellcaster levels was stupid

jgsugden

Legend
...Not meaning to put words in their mouth, but it looks like [MENTION=6780961]Yunru[/MENTION] was referring specifically to the issue raised in the OP (multiclassed caster having fewer spell slots than a single-classed caster with the same total levels due to the rounding rule). That's much more narrow than 'not behind in spellcasting'. And it's correct, as the Sorcerer/Warlock is not subject to the rule referenced in the OP.
Forest for the trees.

If the problem here is that we round down and you end up slighty behind in spellcasting capability, then saying that the Sorloc does not suffer from this setback AT ALL (emphasis mine this time) is missing something.

This setback was intentional. They considered both it, and what the combinations with Warlock, would be like and were pleased with the result. The idea that the 'round-down deficiency' was an accident ignores that we had a lot of testing for this edition - likely more tha in any prior edition.

5ekyu

Hero
Forest for the trees.

If the problem here is that we round down and you end up slighty behind in spellcasting capability, then saying that the Sorloc does not suffer from this setback AT ALL (emphasis mine this time) is missing something.

This setback was intentional. They considered both it, and what the combinations with Warlock, would be like and were pleased with the result. The idea that the 'round-down deficiency' was an accident ignores that we had a lot of testing for this edition - likely more tha in any prior edition.
Yes any issues deriving from rounding wont apply when rounding is not used.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Source?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Again - consider all of the playtesting. Your premise is that - after those hundreds of thousands of hours of playtesting - they ignored the feedback ... that they failed to do the very basic math involved in the design .... that they wrote very specific text that clearly specified how the mechanic should work ... and that they had failed to consider it all?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/common sense

Yes.

jgsugden

Legend
Then there truly is nothing more to say.

However, I do have amazingly effective tinfoil hats that can protect you from governmenet Mind Blasts. $200, but well worth the money for those with the sight to believe in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence. Money back if you're Mind Blasted while wearing one (less shipping).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Then there truly is nothing more to say.

However, I do have amazingly effective tinfoil hats that can protect you from governmenet Mind Blasts. $200, but well worth the money for those with the sight to believe in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence. Money back if you're Mind Blasted while wearing one (less shipping).

Odd though, that given "after those hundreds of thousands of hours of playtesting" they still missed enough to need to release errata, despite "that they wrote very specific text".

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
All the Paladin odd levels are already full caster levels. A Paladin 3 has the same spell slots as a full caster 2. It's only when multiclassed that they're not.
That was... kinda the whole point of the thread.

And you're right. I don't know how I messed that up, but on going back today with a clear hear I see what you are saying.

So, i was just wrong, ignore what I was saying.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So you think a Sorcerer X/Warlock 2 is not behind in spellcasting compared to a Sorcerer X+2?

Apples to Oranges with Pact Magic and Spellcasting.
But! For the sake of argument, and to reinforce the point of this thread:
A Paladin X/Warlock 2 is not behind in spellcasting compared to a Paladin X. (I'm swapping Sorcerer for Paladin because the issue only occurs with fractional casters.)
The same can't be said for a Paladin X/Sorcerer 2 though (provided X is odd). After redacting the Sorcerer 2's impact, the Paladin X has magically (heh) lost a full caster level.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Apples to Oranges with Pact Magic and Spellcasting.
But! For the sake of argument, and to reinforce the point of this thread:
A Paladin X/Warlock 2 is not behind in spellcasting compared to a Paladin X. (I'm swapping Sorcerer for Paladin because the issue only occurs with fractional casters.)
The same can't be said for a Paladin X/Sorcerer 2 though (provided X is odd). After redacting the Sorcerer 2's impact, the Paladin X has magically (heh) lost a full caster level.

They don’t actually lose a caster level though. They just fail to gain any benefit to spell slots from their first level of sorcerer.

Remove ads