D&D 5E Why does mounted combat feel underwhelming in 5e?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Why does mounted combat feel underwhelming in 5e?​

I think that the answer is also in the name of the game: (1) Dungeons and (2) Dragons. ;)
E38A7229-1C29-44A2-B33D-0A8C4E19F3C1.jpeg

Dungeons, Dragons and Mounted Combat would be compatible with the fiction though.

Orbril the gnome often rode his Giant Hamster, but his standard combat response was thrown incendiary grenade then run away and hide - not much for mounted combat

Mounted combat has a lot of problems in D&D. Nearly all of them have to do with the simple fact that horses don't belong in dungeons. They're so limited compared to a humanoid. Mounts don't like narrow passageways. They can't climb ladders. They can't use spiral staircases. God help you if you need to travel the planes. If they fall into a pit trap, they're 1,000 lbs of dead weight stuck at the bottom of a pit. Their high movement rate is often totally irrelevant indoors, too, and you'll be bottlenecked by doorways and rooms. A mounted knight doesn't exactly fit through a doorway. Even outdoors, their tactics don't really provide any benefit at all if the creature can fly or has any kind of special movement. They don't like uneven or steep terrain, either. Paladins have it slightly better with Summon Steed... but it's still difficult to make work and Summon Steed isn't quite the Pokeball it really needs to be like Find Familiar. So you can focus on mounted combat, but there's a significant risk that you're just going to have all this investment into stuff you can't use.

It's a lot better for small characters if they're riding a more agile animal like a dog... but One D&D just made lances heavy. So... guess that's that?

I played a Paladin from 1998 to about 2004. Started in 2e AD&D, converted to 3e D&D, and then to 3.5. Went from level 1 to level 15. I never once called my steed. I just never wanted the obligation of a mount to take care of, and there was no benefit to having a mount. We spend 90% of the game in the underdark, lost across the outer planes, lost in untamed wildernesses, or in various urban settings. Our DM was a big fan of Chronicles of Amber. I remember the first dungeon we went to at level 1, the NPC that hired us gave us pack animals for the journey. The party ended up drawn through a portal in that first dungeon. We never saw those pack animals again because we never returned through the cave entrance.

Mounts are too much of a liability.

Depends on your playstyle and the nature of your campaign a bit. I'm playing a paladin in Storm King's Thunder at the moment, and there's a lot of outdoor encounters in that campaign - probably more than indoor (although a lot of them have been onboard ship, where horses are less than useful...). But of course if I'd been playing Dungeon of the Mad Mage this would very much not be true.

Even so, the steed hasn't seen a lot of use. It's been great as a transport option when we need to travel long distances in a hurry (with a Potion of Growth, it can even carry the whole party), but as a combat option - no. I'm just on the cusp of level 12 now, and my steed still has only 19 hit points. I can't remember the last time anything i was fighting did that little damage. If the steed gets hit at all, it's going to die (and it's still a level and a bit before I can use Find Greater Steed). That lack of survivability is just a showstopper when it comes to going into combat mounted. You have to spend a feat on Mounted Combat to make it even slightly functional, and even then, it's not going to extend your steed's lifespan very much. And spending a feat on something so situational is hard to justify.

Which is a shame. I'd love to play a game centred around a band of horse nomad PCs or something, for example, but the rules just don't support it. I'm sure there's 3pp products that fill the gap of course.

As others have mentioned, battlefield mobility is a huge deal. One of the biggest dangers of being a ranged combatant and/or a squishy caster is when an enemy gets into melee with you. A disengage + single move often only keeps you out of melee until the enemy's next turn (assuming both combatants have a similar 30' movement), unless you've got a bunch of other allies to tie them up. While mounted, you get the benefit of significantly greater movement and the ability to move, disengage, and still use your own action to attack, which really enables skirmishing.

I always thought an attack from a charging horse should do more damage.

Something like "if you move in a straight line at least 15 feet towards an unmounted creature, your first melee attack against that creature gains +10 damage".

This makes mounted combatants more scary on an open field both for the party and enemies, and makes tactics like postitioning in trees or around rocks etc potentially more important.

I also think horses should have more hp and more damage on a melee attack, but that's a different issue.

Many years ago I conversed with a horse cop in NYC. He said that horses were great for crowd control because they terrified city folk. Hardened criminals who would come at an on-foot officer would shy away from an 800kg iron-shoe-wearing animal. And even if they didn't, all the horse had to do was lean. Person v horse pushing contest, horse wins.

I wonder if this could be modelled ingame with some sort of morale effect?

The only time Peter the Peasant levy soldier had encountered a horse it was when a grumpy farm horse kicked his cousin Cara in the head, and she's never been right since. So, when a mercenary on horseback with a big curved sword shows up and the squad leader yells "Get 'im!", Peter has second thoughts.

I think people have laid out many of the major issues. Two other present themselves:
  • Mobility in general) In D&D (and any other game where one person moves and acts, then mostly freezes in place while everyone else moves and acts), it is very much dependent upon the rest of the game rules as to whether mobility is highly valuable. If you have to end your move when you attack, then it may not really help much -- maybe letting you attack first, but if people don't drop after being subjected to one round of attacks (and counter-attack with full force), it might not be all that much benefit. If you get multiple attacks, but not so if you charge past someone taking one big swing, you also might be dragging out the combat to a great degree (and if 40-60% of opponents have some kind of ranged attack, charging from outside retribution range to the same distance in the other direction is probably not going to happen).
  • For historical reasons (Chainmail), after a certain point horses are rather flimsy compared to most PCs and the things they face. That's a specific decision D&D made that did not have to be the case. Chainmail also had a lance charge be one of the only real reliable ways that you could actually land a hit on someone wearing plate. D&D, even the ones where lance charges do double damage, have never made mounted combat that strong*, and offered all sort of other methods of making your attacks better able to hit heavily-armored opponents (everything else developed afterwards which add +s to hit). *excepting mounted archery, which is great when you can do it.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Best use I've seen in ANY edition was a riding gecko gnome cavalier in Pathfinder. The ability to go up dungeon walls kept the mount relevant and interesting for a long, long time.

ECMO3

Hero
You know what is pretty awesome is a mounted Rogue.

That gives you sneak attack with almost all melee attacks all the time since you always have an ally next to the enemy. The mount can also use disengage as its action allowing you to use a bonus action for something else like Two Weapon Fighting, Mage Hand Legerdemain or Fast Hands.

The game has a perfectly useful Mounted Combat feat in the PHB. It addresses most mount HP issue by forcing attacks to hit the rider (including spells with attack rolls), it essentially gives the mount Evasion (meaning a warhorse can survive a typical fireball), and the rider gets advantage attacking creatures smaller than the mount so it isnt just a "mount survival" feat..

Add a saddle of Cavalier for when you are low on hp and need to let the mount take some shots but at disadvantage (means no sneak attacks)

It's just that people don't want to spend the ASI.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases