• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Why does the 3E Fiendish Codex: Hordes of the Abyss go for so much?

Kodiak3D

Explorer
The secondary market price on lots of older RPG books have been going up. Many 3E books are really expensive now, especially stuff that had a small print run (try to find a copy of Monster Manual V...).

It's not just D&D either. I was trying to pick up some of the older Battletech books last year. Many of them have also gone up in price, and some of them you can hardly find at all.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've noticed that here in NZ that it is hard to find any DnD books in second hand bookstores nowadays. I used to be able to go into anyone and there'd be some floating around but now it's almost non-existent. I'm assuming that most selling are selling online rather than taking them in to trade in at a second hand bookstore.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've noticed that here in NZ that it is hard to find any DnD books in second hand bookstores nowadays. I used to be able to go into anyone and there'd be some floating around but now it's almost non-existent. I'm assuming that most selling are selling online rather than taking them in to trade in at a second hand bookstore.

We have a 24 hour book sale here and it's been a while since I've found any.

I bought most of the 1E for $180 NZD not long ago. Now it's $50 a PHB.

Anyway Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis and Drow of Underdark also worth a bit on eBay.

teitan

Legend
Used to be the BECMI book was a couple bucks in just about every used book store or junk store around here that carried that stuff. A couple game stores had new copies and trade ins. Then, seemingly overnight, they all vanished and were going for lots and lots on eBay and Craigslist. Same with dragon and dungeon magazines.

I think I remember it coinciding with a year after 4es release.
The RC was going for insane cash around the time that 3.5 launched for a while. Recently I’ve seen it cap around 35 in Louisville. Prices around here seem to be dropping. The DMSGuild selling POD of that one might be a contributing factor but I have a friend who two years ago paid 150 for an RC. I got a shrink wrapped Holmes Basic for $20 though. With chits.

I mostly got rid of my 3e collection, but for the core books and the standout books I loved. I've since gone back and reacquired some and gotten some that I passed on when they were new, like Ghostwalk (which I really ought to get to actually reading soon). But honestly, I don't regret most of the stuff I got rid of. Considering it's place in history, I probably should've held onto the Book of Vile Darkness, though. But there was just so much of it by the end (same with 4e).

I've been trying to complete my collection of 3E books the last few years. They are getting harder and harder to come by.

There really was this distinct cutoff, where you could get old D&D books cheaply (I think I got the Immortals set for $20-$30), and then all of a sudden, bam, $70+.

Used to be the BECMI book was a couple bucks in just about every used book store or junk store around here that carried that stuff. A couple game stores had new copies and trade ins. Then, seemingly overnight, they all vanished and were going for lots and lots on eBay and Craigslist. Same with dragon and dungeon magazines.

I think I remember it coinciding with a year after 4es release.

darjr

I crit!
Most 4e books are still fairly inexpensive. They do seem to be rising and some are more costly than others and harder to find. Dark Sun being one.
with the slow chatter of 4e I imagine more people will start looking and prices will rise.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I got an RC off ebay for $25 + shipping in 2010. Now when I look, they are closer (or over) $100 - though I have not looked in a while.

I've gotten rid of a lot of different gaming books over the years and I think I regret getting rid of like 90% of them. Oh well! 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads