Why Games Workshop is not a good business

I just have this little anecdote to share about the mentality of Games Workshop, their employees, and their sales. I think it sums up GW pretty well (or at least my experience with them and the limited experience I've had with their games).

Back at Gen Con in '05, I had paused at the Games Workshop tables at the exhibit hall. I don't play GW games, but something there caught my eye.

I looked at something on display, while a fellow next to me was speaking with the booth employee.

The customer next to me was picking out a fairly big selection of minis, from a number of lines. Given the cost of GW minis, I wouldn't be surprised if that big stack came to hundreds of dollars in pewter he was about to buy.

At that moment, the guy behind the booth asks the customer what his favorite GW game is (since he is buying merchandise for a number of different ones).

The customer states that he doesn't play GW games, he just buys the minis to use with other games like D&D because he thinks that GW makes cool miniatures.

The salesman gets indignant and tells him that he can come back when he's ready to play a "real game", but he's not selling him any minis if they aren't going to be used for non-GW games.

I was shocked that they would turn away a sale like that over something that ridiculous. Any thoughts I had of buying anything at that booth instantly evaporated and I went on my way that day.

Greg K

Legend
During the 80's, I bought a copy of Talisman while on vacation. About a year later, I was at a friend's house and we used his new copy. We noticed a sheet with some characters and cards

I called Games Workshop and told them what had happened. They refused to do anything to correct the problem. I have never bought another Games Workshop product and will never do so again.

MGibster

Legend
I honestly don't know a thing about Games Workshop. Despite playing RPG's for 18 years, I've never perused nor bought any Games Workshop products. Wierd, but just one of those things.

It's not weird at all. If you have no interest in miniatures war games it's no surprise that you haven't looked at Games Workshop products.

Ulrick

First Post
I'm kinda ambivalent when it comes to WotC... I mean Games Workshop.

They produce cool products which have increased standards throughout the miniature war game hobby since the 1980s (until their Finecast crap, however). But at the same time they're a total bastard company whose products are too expensive for their value and are marketed to specific demographic. They bring in new customers by screwing over the old. And they've screwed over local gaming stores who've built up a market base for them (basically, at that point GW moves in with their own store).

But then again, they are successful. And they make no excuses for the fact that they are selling luxury products.

delericho

Legend
As with WotC, my view of Games Workshop is that they're a business. Nothing more, nothing less. And my view of businesses is strictly neutral - if they produce something I want at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll buy. If they don't produce something I want, or the price isn't right, I won't.

But either way, I don't expect any notion of 'loyalty' from the business, and neither will I offer any in turn. It's simply business - my money for their product... or not, as the case may be. (And, as things stand, neither GW nor WotC get my custom. That may change at some future time, of course.)

Now, that said - I have never had a bad experience with a GW store. Sure, when I go in the staff do tend to be somewhat "in your face" - honestly, I'd generally rather be left alone to find what I'm looking for, and if I need help I'll ask. But they have been universally friendly, they have gone to the effort of approaching customers, and at least I've never been a position of needing help and not being able to find an assistant. And they've been knowledgeable about the product, they've been interested in my own interests in the product, and they've even not been too shocked when I said I was only interested in the painting, and have never actually played any of their games (well, one game of WFB about 15 years ago).

The other thing I have to commend them for is that the stores I have been in have had a significant amount of energy about them. They've had at least a couple of game tables there, and these have almost always been in use. I've seen various people doing various bits of painting (with the assistants being happy to give advice and other tips). And, last time I was in, the staff was busily organising a mini-tournament for the local kids - the place was fairly buzzing.

I consider those all to the good. And, yes, they are doing these things to maximise profits. But at least they're doing them - especially since they might well get better results by going online-only.

(Now, all that said, my fiancee and my sister recently ventured into GW to pick up some dice. Apparently, that was quite the experience...)

Cor Azer

First Post
OP is using two different, but suspicious similar, definitions of 'good'

GW makes profit (a substantisl smount apparently). By definition of 'good at business' they are thus 'good' - they are making money.

But they don't share his risk assessments, and choose not to diversify too much. They stick with miniatures, because that's what they know. They know their suppliers. They know their distribution chains. They know their employees. They know what works for them and have no real reason to try to go outside that box. It doesn't make them 'not good'; it just makes them 'risk-averse'.

A business needs only take one risk in its lifetime - start. Beyond that, it's hard work. If its employees work hard, company makes money. Taking risks doesn't make a company 'good' (or 'bad').

Loyalty doesn't really exist in a product company. They produce product, customer buys it (or not). Relationship ends.

It's different in a service-based company, but GW doesn't provide a service, thus, no implied loyalty. Sure, they'd like you to keep purchasing their stuff, but just as you have no obligation to keep buying, they have no obligation to keep providing what you want.

Obviously though, someone wants what they're offering, because they still make money.

DnD_Dad

First Post
GW bashing... You can't blame the entire company for the way that you feel that one store's employees don't seem honest and trustworthy to you. I've been to plenty of dark-dingy hobby stores that make my skin crawl and immediately take a 180 out of. I'm sorry it sounds like the GW by you sucks, but by me(south suburbs/Chicago) there was an amazing GW in Shorewood staffed by a great group of guys that wanted nothing more to serve the company after its customers. I also have the privilege of having the Battle bunker only half an hour away from me and if you have never been to one you are missing out on something amazing. They have people that are helpful, interested in the hobby(the reason why you go there in the first place,) and they don't judge the way most hobby store workers do.

Leviatham

Explorer
Again, I don't know a single thing about Games Workshop. But I can tell when someone has a biased perspective and an axe to grind.

The OP definitely is chock full of both, and that tends to make me doubt the veracity of the argument.

B-)

Of course I don't like GW, but not because I have an axe to grind. They have never done me any wrong. Nor any good.

As for doubting the veracity of my argument, I understand why you feel that way, but before implying that my argument's veracity, you should get some information about GW.

2Bias" and "veracity" are not necessarily incompatible!

Remove ads