• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I love RPGs (and D&D!)

yeebarr

First Post
Aw shoot...with all the negatives comments flying around at the moment (WotC layoffs, Harn vs D20) I just thought it'd be a nice time to affirm why I love playing RPGs...why I wake up at 6am on the weekend to catch up on all these posts at EN World (lurking, lurking...). Why I'm willing to face the wraith of my wife and spend my Saturday nights up til dawn playing this crazy game called D&D.

Sure - this is pointless, destined to be drowned under the sea of bitter threads...but hey; if Monte Cook can write why he likes D&D I thought it was good enough for a schmuck like me...

(1) Dice...
C'mon! They're so pretty! And all different shapes and sizes! Plus there's nothing like throwing one of these suckers and coming up with a nat 20!
(My 2 year old daughter has learnt to throw them too...especially likes to aim between the eyes of her favourite uncle!)

(2) Friends.
I had a couple of acquaintances that, since we started playing D&D 3E, have become some of my closests friends (which is only natural when you spend each weekend killing orcs together). If it wasn't for this initial link to D&D I would never have had the opportunity to know them so well

(3) Roleplaying
Whether you're a ham or a casual gamer...just the fact that you can get 6+ people together to weave a tale of epic battles and great fantasy...I don't think any other form of entertainment comes close to the experience you can get from an RPG! What other game is it so acceptable to keep quoting Lord of the Rings? ("Let's go hunt some orc!")

(4) Big ass swords.
Natch.

(5) Forums/discussion groups.
Like one big family you have the intellectual uncle, the idiotic cousin, the crude (but funny) big brother and the bizarre (and most likely insane) great aunt. Whether you're 12 years old or 60+ I've found the people on the EN World to be some of the most sharpest people online - full of witty banter, passionate views and intelligent insight. You guys rock!

Ok everyone...group hug! (Uh..the smelly guy in the corner could do with a spray of deodorant first...aw what the heck! Hug ya anyway!)

yeebarr

First Post
Buttercup said:
You forgot one thing: the fireball spell.

:hug: from /me who smells like cloves and bergamot

Doh! Fireball! Our teams wizard just reached 5th level to get this spell! The team (brought up on a staple of magic missles) were so overjoyed we danced around the table!

Mmm...bergamot...double hug! :)

Fayredeth

First Post
Oh no! There's that warm tingle usually associated with bursting into fire!

Oh, hey, it's not painful... it's kinda... nice... good nice...

Roleplaying is a wonderful hobby, allowing for much social interaction and healthy creativity.

Privateer

First Post
*cries*

That was... so beautiful.

I think we like you now.

Hm, that came off as insane. When I say we, I refer to the boards, not my different personalites. They're sleeping.

*hugs*

yeebarr

First Post
Geez, well it *was* beautiful until someone ruined it and let Monte into the middle...! :mad:

Ah well...it's just lucky that he's soft and cuddly n' all...

oh wait...did I say that out loud? :eek:

yeah baby! *bee-ump!*

Keepin' the hug alive!

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads