• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is animate dead considered inherently evil?

I'm having a troublesome time understanding why the animate dead spell is considered evil. When I read the manual it states that the spall imbues the targeted corpse with a foul mimicry of life, implying that the soul is not a sentient being who is trapped in a decaying corpse. Rather, the spell does exactly what its title suggests, it only animates the corps. Now of course one could use the spell to create zombies that would hunt and kill humans, but by that same coin, they could create a labor force that needs no form of sustenance (other than for the spell to be recast of course). There have also been those who have said "the spell is associated with the negative realm which is evil", however when you ask someone why the negative realm is bad that will say "because it is used for necromancy", I'm sure you can see the fallacy in this argument.

However, I must take into account that I have only looked into the DnD magic system since yesterday so there are likely large gaps in my knowledge. PS(Apon further reflection I've decided that the animate dead spell doesn't fall into the school of necromancy, as life is not truly given to the corps, instead I believe this would most likely fall into the school of transmutation.) PPS(I apologize for my sloppy writing, I've decided I'm feeling too lazy to correct it.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Why are you referring to a 3E rule that is not relevant to 5E?
I’m not? I have no idea what 3e rule you even think I’m referring to.
In this edition the rules (PHB) expressly says this:

Creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently.

In light of the above sentence (which refers to a DnD 5e spell, and an alignment, and a prohibition based on an opposing alignment) how can your sentence above be correct?
That quote says the spell isn’t good (I agree; it isn’t any alignment, including good), and only evil characters use it frequently, which does not mean the spell itself is evil. There’s also nothing actually preventing a good character from using it frequently, so the latter statement is also demonstrably incorrect, though again, it doesn’t actually say anything about the spell itself being of any alignment.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
You’re the one making the positive claim, and you have provided no evidence for it. We can certainly judge it as evil, but no rule of the game makes it inherently so.
The creatures created are evil and hateful (according to the Monster Manual) and the description of the necromantic spells that create them are described as dark and sinister. So I’m gonna go with evil, there, rather than swarthy and left-handed.

That quote says the spell isn’t good (I agree; it isn’t any alignment, including good)

That's a wholly absurd interpretation. Why call out animate dead specifically as being 'not good' then, if the 'not an evil/ good act' applies to every spell?

There’s also nothing actually preventing a good character from using it frequently

Yes there is. The Rules expressly state that 'No good person uses it frequently'.

Fill in the blanks for me here:

If you use animate dead frequently, you are not (.........).

Charlaquin

The creatures created are evil and hateful (according to the Monster Manual)
That they are. I have made no arguments to the contrary.
and the description of the necromantic spells that create them are described as dark and sinister. So I’m gonna go with evil, there, rather than swarthy and left-handed.
“Dark and sinister” is not inherently evil.

Charlaquin

That's a wholly absurd interpretation. Why call out animate dead specifically as being 'not good' then, if the 'not an evil/ good act' applies to every spell?
To inform the DM how such magic is generally perceived and used.
Yes there is. The Rules expressly state that 'No good person uses it frequently'.
As meaningless a statement as “Druids won’t wear metal armor.” No information is given on what happens if a good character does use it frequently, which is something the players can easily make happen if they wish.
Fill in the blanks for me here:

If you use animate dead frequently, you are not (.........).
Likely a good NPC.

Charlaquin

Ooooookay. You go on believing that desecrating corpses by animating them into hordes of evil murderous undead isn't evil. :rolleyes:
I mean, personally I don’t believe in evil, but this isn’t about my or anyone’s personal beliefs. It’s about the rules of D&D 5th edition, which do not indicate that the DM should change PCs’ alignment for casting necromancy spells.

Likely a good NPC.

So you're interpreting this:

''Creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently.''

As:

''If you use
animate dead frequently, you are not likely a good NPC.''

In which case, never study law. 'Likely' has nothing to do with it, and neither does 'NPC'. The prohibition is absolute, and it applies to every spell caster.

The rules clearly state that ONLY EVIL spell casters (PC and NPC, there is no distinction) animate the dead frequently with necromancy spells, and that animating them via that magic is NOT A GOOD ACT.

Ergo, if a spellcaster (PC or NPC) animates the dead with necromancy magic, they are:

1) NOT performing a Good act, and
2) If they do so regularly, they are NOT Good (or Neutral); they are Evil.

There is literally no other way to parse that sentence as anything else. You can choose to ignore than sentence if you want (great, good for you) but there is literally no room for semantics here. The act itself is NOT GOOD and ONLY EVIL creatures do it frequently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads