Why is being "in print" important?

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I've often seen posts, and heard in actual conversations, people mention that a system being in print is an important factor in deciding whether or not to play (or continue to play) a particular game, or edition of a game.

For instance, I know a few groups around town who didn't want to go to 4e, but switched to Pathfinder, rather than continuing their 3.5 game.

Similarly, I've had guys tell me they prefer Castles and Crusades over AD&D (either edition)/Basic/OD&D soley because C&C is in print.

(My background/bias is of a guy who really only owned about a half dozen rpg product for years, and never even noticed 2e AD&D was out until it had been on the shelves for about 18 months or 2 years. Even today, I don't really make use of much beyond my core AD&D books, being quite happy to homebrew adventures and houserule anything I think needs addressing. )

This isn't just a D&D thing, either. I heard of people who quit playing other games in different genres shortly after they went out of print, for that very reason.

So, without devolving into edition warring or rules nitpickery, could some of you who feel that way try to explain why a system being in print is of such import to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Edited the title

Francisca: the boards assume that any thread title ending in the word "print" (even followed by punctuation) is to be displayed in printer-friendly format, which means it has none of the buttons which allow people to reply. So, I had to edit your title for this to remain viable. I hope my choice was okay - you can change it again if you wish.

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Francisca: the boards assume that any thread title ending in the word "print" (even followed by punctuation) is to be displayed in printer-friendly format, which means it has none of the buttons which allow people to reply. So, I had to edit your title for this to remain viable. I hope my choice was okay - you can change it again if you wish.

That is just fine, thanks for fixing it up!

BriarMonkey

First Post
In a nutshell - exposure.

If you are not in print then you are not on bookshelves, in brick-and-mortar stores, or in other non-electronic format. There is still a lot of the world that is not on-line in an efficient manner, or does not expect to find everything on-line.

Too, there are personal preferences that are at play. A large number of the population wants to see what they are paying for - before paying for it. Sure, there are a lot of things that you can see on-line (but then, see above), but you can't flip through a book "on-line"*. (That extends to a lot of things beyond books - like I won't by a chair on-line unless I've had a chance to sit in it; I don't want my tuckus saddled with something that is better used as an anvil. And you can't sit in it on-line.)

Oh! And if it's in print, you don't loose it when your hard drive crashes...

* Yes, there are some exceptions, but gaming books normally aren't.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Available player pool, current support from the company, additional support by way of articles or regular discussion from third parties, etc., IMO.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Support?

If it's not in print, it doesn't get official support.

Not that important to me, but probably to a lot of people.

pawsplay

Hero
Because, if you play the game long enough, you will want to develop it, and if it's not in print, you become the developer, which is a lot of work.

pawsplay

Hero
More reasons to play in print games:

- You don't have to require everyone to wash, lotion, then talc their hands before handling the rulebooks.
- Beverages and cheese buffs may be permitted at the table.
- Don't have to adjust the humidity of the game room or worry about paper acidity.
- Players not required to place a $100 bond in order to use rulebook to make a character.
- More than one copy of game exists in county where you live.
- More than three exist in the COUNTRY that you live.
- Like to have errata updated at least once every 25 years.

Remove ads