D&D 5E Why is the pike 18 lbs?!?!?

Al2O3

Explorer
So, what damage would Occam's Razor do... And would it be considered a finesse weapon?
I would expect it to be similar in damage to a dagger, so probably 1d4 slashing using dex or psychic damage using Int for attack and damage.

Now I kind of want to see Occam's Razor as a wizard cantrip...

jrowland

First Post
My 2cp:

It's likely a typo: meant to be 18' length 10lbs instead of 10' length 18lbs.

edit: To be clear, I am not saying that it's better, but rather a typo fits the "wonky" weapon stats (for the pike) in the PHB better.

Last edited:

Ricapath

First Post
Why do pikes even exist in DnD, there is literally no incentive to use them. Yes only heavy, reach, two-handed piercing weapon but they're excessively heavy and arent even included in the polearm master feat. Just reflavour a glaive and ignore the pike.
On another note, how is a quaterstaff double the weight of a warhammer?

Dausuul

Legend
Why do pikes even exist in DnD, there is literally no incentive to use them. Yes only heavy, reach, two-handed piercing weapon but they're excessively heavy and arent even included in the polearm master feat. Just reflavour a glaive and ignore the pike.
The pike is like padded armor or ring mail. It's strictly inferior, but cheap. (Although 5 gp is still too much if you ask me. It should be more like 5 silver.)

PCs are unlikely to ever carry pikes as their preferred weapons, but sometimes you don't have access to your preferred weapon and have to grab whatever's handy from some NPC mook.

Remove ads