Why modern movies suck - they teach us awful lessons

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If you go back and watch older movies without cherry picking, you'll find that most of them also teach awful lessons. It's just Sturgeon's Law at work.

What I don't get is why Directors write scripts instead of actual professional writers.
The view of the Director as "auteur" has a lot to do with this - upholding the idea of a film as being the vision of just the Director has had an impact on how films get made now. Too many directors buying into that narrative instead of realizing that auteur theory is just one kind of film theory and not every movie should fit into it.

(Directors in the old days knew you just stole the public credit for how the film turns out rather than actually trying to do all of the work yourself. Let the writers and actors make you look good while everyone attributes the success and message of the film just to you.)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Seriously though, modern movies suck??? That is such a weird take. I'm not going to watch the video (it is my eternal pledge to never watch a YouTube video posted in a discussion forum), so @darkwillow I'm wondering if you would explain your view instead.

What do you define as "modern?" Based on the picture of Mulan, are you only talking about Disney / Marvel blockbusters, or all of film?

What lessons, if any, do you think cinema should teach?

The view of the Director as "auteur" has a lot to do with this - upholding the idea of a film as being the vision of just the Director has had an impact on how films get made now. Too many directors buying into that narrative instead of realizing that auteur theory is just one kind of film theory and not every movie should fit into it.
And yet so much film criticism today is about how we should return to the 70s where directors were auteurs, because modern film is too safe and corporate. So turns out that people will always complain about film these days, finding different reasons to do so.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Saying modern movies suck is like saying modern music sucks. It's all subjective and usually based on cherry-picking There are great movies today, and great movies from decades ago. Just like there are crappy movies today just like there were crappy movies before. Unless one wants to argue Highlander II, Speed II, and Jaws the Revenger were good movies...(don't get me started on the Sci-Fi movies from the 70s and 80s lol)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases