• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why recommend "upgrading" to IE7 from IE6

Frozen Yakman

First Post
Regarding the new site design and IE6 problems. Why did you recommend "upgrading" to IE7? You should recommend a superior quality browser than the non-standard compliant drivel like Internet Explorer. Opera and Firefox come immediately to mind as superiour browsers, if you recommend an upgrade I would chose them since they are an actual upgrade rather than a behind the times browser. I can speak from experience that Opera renders the page perfectly and offers an all around better experience than IE.

Ranger REG

Explorer
IE7 has tabbed browsing that I can re-arrange in any order I like. When I visit messageboards like EN World I open up multiple browser windows to visit many forums at one time. In previous IE, it can hog up all the spaces on the taskbar. IE7 allows me to have multiple browser windows without hogging the space on the taskbar.

Also, Netscape 8 doesn't allow me to re-arrange the tab any way I like.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Yep, in Firefox you just drag the titlebar in the tab row to another location...

It sounds more like someone has a preference and doesn't want to deal with anything else. I can understand that attitude; I pretty much refuse to support my family/friends unless they're using non-IE. Well, except my wife. She gets to use IE -- but she chooses not to anyway.

What gets my goat are "blind" recommendations: those that are made without any significant experience with the alternatives, so they aren't really authoritative but they sound like they are.

Oh well. Such is life. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Ranger REG said:
IE7 has tabbed browsing that I can re-arrange in any order I like.

IE is about the last browser on earth to have this feature...

Opera has it since several years already, and Firefox since the 1st version. ;)

Bye
Thanee

XCorvis

First Post
Tashtego said:
So does Firefox - maybe give people a list of browsers to choose from rather than just IE? Firefox or IE7.

It should really read "Upgrade to anything else made in the last 3 years."

TogaMario

First Post
Although I suggest Firefox for browsing, if you HAD to upgrade from IE6 to IE7, it might be because IE6 (... and IE7) sometimes doesn't spit out proper formatting for page layouts, PNG images (with greater ranges of image transparency) aren't fully supported, and it's just old and worn out. I'm sure it's missing something along the lines of newer web technologies that ENWorld may want to use, like ASP.NET 2.0 or something (don't know, haven't tried any pages on older machines and software).

Edit: Just took a look at the ENWorld logo (which appears to be a transparent png) and there's a pretty good chance that it won't show up right on IE6.

Frozen Yakman

First Post
I would actualy recommend Opera. Firefox has the whole FOSS thing behind it, which is a definite plus, but I've tried the current versions of Opera, Firefox and IE and Opera just wins. Its faster, smaller, more standards compliant, and more feature rich (disregarding third-party components for FF, but even then there's a sizeable 3rd party Opera community and most of the popular FF components like AdBlock are just standard features in Opera).

Yes, I do work in software for a living but I am not associated with any of the discussed browser producers in any shape or form.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
mo9bu.gif

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads