Unearthed Arcana Why UA Psionics are never going to work in 5e.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm not sure I'm hearing what you are hearing with this video
He is saying a lot of things about how people "don't want a new mechanic" and that they really liked psionic themed characters, but that they want things "to keep working the same way"

All of that reads to me like there is not going to be a Psionic class, and if there is, it will be a spellcaster like a wizard or sorcerer. Because the feedback is, don't create new mechanics, just let us play the theme, which means spells.
I was talking about the UA article where they talked specifically about feedback they received regarding the Mystic and not the video, so maybe before accusing me of not listening to the video, maybe you should bother listening to me. That seems like the polite thing to do after all.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I was talking about the UA article where they talked specifically about feedback they received regarding the Mystic and not the video, so maybe before accusing me of not listening to the video, maybe you should bother listening to me. That seems like the polite thing to do after all.

I didn't know there was an article, and you talked about how there was nothing "in his voice"

So, was I to assume they published a new article I did not know about, or that you listened to him talk with his voice on a video I knew about

Maybe don't be so defensive, I wasn't accusing you of anything, just saying I was hearing a different interpretation.

Aldarc

Legend
I didn't know there was an article, and you talked about how there was nothing "in his voice"

So, was I to assume they published a new article I did not know about, or that you listened to him talk with his voice on a video I knew about

Maybe don't be so defensive, I wasn't accusing you of anything, just saying I was hearing a different interpretation.
I said that there was nothing in his voice about giving up on psionics not necessarily about a psionic class. I also said that their reasons for putting the Mystic on the shelf was discussed in one of the previous UA psionic articles.

That said, I do think that their current subclass direction is far more likely, but I doubt that WotC have given up completely on the possibility for a psionic class. They could be testing subsystems for more easier to manage subclass bites first before going back to the drawing board for a psion class.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not sure I'm hearing what you are hearing with this video
He is saying a lot of things about how people "don't want a new mechanic" and that they really liked psionic themed characters, but that they want things "to keep working the same way"

All of that reads to me like there is not going to be a Psionic class, and if there is, it will be a spellcaster like a wizard or sorcerer. Because the feedback is, don't create new mechanics, just let us play the theme, which means spells.
Just because the latest UA had subclasses and no full class, does not mean they aren't working on one. A full class is much harder than just a few subclasses. You have to design the FULL class as well as 2-3 subclasses to go with it.

I think some of you are reading too much into the most recent UA which only said no Mystic and gave a few subclass ideas.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just because the latest UA had subclasses and no full class, does not mean they aren't working on one. A full class is much harder than just a few subclasses. You have to design the FULL class as well as 2-3 subclasses to go with it.

I think some of you are reading too much into the most recent UA which only said no Mystic and gave a few subclass ideas.

Now that the new subclasses have been rejected because people don't want psionics to use a unique mechanic, I have no idea. We could just get a new spellcasting class called a Psion again. But, it will just use spell slots.

Aldarc

Legend
The psi dice was rejected - and likely unique mechanics for psionics - though the themes and class fantasy of the subclasses seem to have been fairly popular.

Jeremy Crawford's summation of the feedback: "We dig kind of a neat, sometimes spooky psychic theme, but we just want it to work like how things work generally in fifth edition."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
True Wizards are rare in Eberron. According to Keith, people with Magic Initiate or Magewrights are far more common.
Well no. “True wizards” aren’t just PCs. PC wizards are just exceptional wizards. There are many wizards at Morgrave and Arcanix who are masters of up to 3rd level spells, and a few who are even higher level than that.

In 5e, they aren’t PC class characters unless a DM wants them to be, but that is irrelevant to the state of the world. “Wizardry” isn’t class levels, it’s a type of magic.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
“Wizardry” isn’t class levels, it’s ...

wizardry_1__proving_grounds_of_the_mad_overlord_1.gif

We know what Wizardry is.

Remove ads