D&D General Why Unbalanced Combat Encounters Can Enhance Your Dungeons & Dragons Experience

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Level was a damn sight better than CR. And it had actual, reasoned backing instead of 'I dunno, it's probably fine they can stunlock or summon T-rexes'.
I'm reminded of what the MtG community always says when Wizards prints an overpowered card. "Oh just put more interaction in your deck. It dies to removal, so it's fine."

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that it is.
There are however many DMs who swear by it.
There is a whole DM subculture of just throwing out enemies randomly with little thought and seeing what happens.
Which is fine. However it limits the type of stories and memories the group can make. But if that group is fine with those stories, it's great but not everyone is.

Which goes back to my point about gauging and telegraphing.

One of the starter dungeons I run is one with 3 groups of antagonists fighting over the dungeons' resources with the groups of good guys.

One group is the Cult of the Crab. They are a group of weak common humanoid cultists. Fights against the mare slaughters if they can't swim away. The only reason why they aren't all dead is that their side of the dungeon is flooded in many areas. Therefore if they can escape there is no following them.

On the other hand the Blue Spears is a orc tribe run by orogs. Their section of the dungeon is well guarded and run like a machine. They have many anti-PC tactics drilled into them and many orogs have PC abilities.

So if you go through the contested areas dungeon, I roll a die to see which groups are in the area. A 1 gets you a cakewalk vs the crazed cultists in cloth and peasant weapons. A 6 get you the Blue Spears and the party better prepare to run once I mention orog.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Level was a damn sight better than CR. And it had actual, reasoned backing instead of 'I dunno, it's probably fine they can stunlock or summon T-rexes'.
I see the flaws in both, and the uses for both. Neither is strictly superior in my experience and a tool is only as good as its user. Or have we reached the part of these discussions where the usual handful of posters comes into the thread to criticize 5e but offer nothing for DMs to take away from the discussion?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Criticizing CR is not the unholy sin of criticizing 5e.

But no, you're right. This thread is for praising Hard Mode D&D above others and the DM not having tools to gauge the actual balance of an encounter fits right in with that. The DM not actually having any control of the encounters is the ultimate in unbalanced encounter technology.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Criticizing CR is not the unholy sin of criticizing 5e.

But no, you're right. This thread is for praising Hard Mode D&D above others and the DM not having tools to gauge the actual balance of an encounter fits right in with that. The DM not actually having any control of the encounters is the ultimate in unbalanced encounter technology.
Some people enjoy games where the encounters are finely tuned for PCs of a particular level and player skill. Other people enjoy games where it varies sometimes into encounters that can't be resolved with brute force. Some people, like me, enjoy both. But the tools are there for judging difficulty within a reasonable range.

There are however many DMs who swear by it.
There is a whole DM subculture of just throwing out enemies randomly with little thought and seeing what happens.
Which is fine. However it limits the type of stories and memories the group can make. But if that group is fine with those stories, it's great but not everyone is.

Which goes back to my point about gauging and telegraphing.

One of the starter dungeons I run is one with 3 groups of antagonists fighting over the dungeons' resources with the groups of good guys.

One group is the Cult of the Crab. They are a group of weak common humanoid cultists. Fights against the mare slaughters if they can't swim away. The only reason why they aren't all dead is that their side of the dungeon is flooded in many areas. Therefore if they can escape there is no following them.

On the other hand the Blue Spears is a orc tribe run by orogs. Their section of the dungeon is well guarded and run like a machine. They have many anti-PC tactics drilled into them and many orogs have PC abilities.

So if you go through the contested areas dungeon, I roll a die to see which groups are in the area. A 1 gets you a cakewalk vs the crazed cultists in cloth and peasant weapons. A 6 get you the Blue Spears and the party better prepare to run once I mention orog.
I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. A poster said something that I don't believe anyone has been saying in this thread. Which effectively makes it strawman, at least in this context. Could you clarify?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. A poster said something that I don't believe anyone has been saying in this thread. Which effectively makes it strawman, at least in this context. Could you clarify?
My point is there are big vocal opinions for and against not represented in this thread that do exist.

There is a vocal DM subculture that is anti-balanced encounter creation and think if each player loses less than 2 PCs, they aren't doing their job.

There is a vocal DM subculture that is pro-balanced encounter creation and think if each encounter should be within a high range of survival.

These aren't strawmen. Entire D&D spinoffs have been designed around one or the other.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
My point is there are big vocal opinions for and against not represented in this thread that do exist.

There is a vocal DM subculture that is anti-balanced encounter creation and think if each player loses less than 2 PCs, they aren't doing their job.

There is a vocal DM subculture that is pro-balanced encounter creation and think if each encounter should be within a high range of survival.

These aren't strawmen. Entire D&D spinoffs have been designed around one or the other.
Obviously they exist, but it just seems odd to me for someone to raise them when nobody appears to have introduced that particular opinion in the discussion. I may have missed it though.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Obviously they exist, but it just seems odd to me for someone to raise them when nobody appears to have introduced that particular opinion in the discussion. I may have missed it though.
At the time I was posting, I thought I had seen someone earlier in the thread posting an argument about death being part of the story, to trivialise the need to balance - and I read your post in light of that. However I am no unable after several quick scans to find what post might have first given me such associations.

Anyway, you do acknowledge that such persons exists, which is good as past me was one of them. I can add that when I post on spaces like this I also tend to keep the lurkers that are not posting in mind.

And even with re-reading I struggle to see what you wanted to contribute into the conversation with your post, if you indeed think my comment to it was completely irrelevant? In particular this particular sentence:
A character dying along the way is just part of that "story.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
At the time I was posting, I thought I had seen someone earlier in the thread posting an argument about death being part of the story, to trivialise the need to balance - and I read your post in light of that. However I am no unable after several quick scans to find what post might have first given me such associations.

Anyway, you do acknowledge that such persons exists, which is good as past me was one of them. I can add that when I post on spaces like this I also tend to keep the lurkers that are not posting in mind.

And even with re-reading I struggle to see what you wanted to contribute into the conversation with your post, if you indeed think my comment to it was completely irrelevant? In particular this particular sentence:
I did not say your post was irrelevant. I suggested it was criticizing a position that nobody in the thread has to my knowledge taken.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And that's the real problem. It takes a lot of investment to make these calls, and experience to know how/when to make them. What's a less experienced DM to do except fail, a lot?
A less experienced DM is wise to run published adventures to learn the ropes, and as we know the CR is erring on the easy side, which is actually great for new DMs. Of course, the first encounter in LMoP is a textbook case of throwing DMs in at the deep-end, but as I said, WOTC sucks at teaching the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases