• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Widen feat for "Mass/Greater" spells

czak808

First Post
Would the widen spell feat work for charm monster (mass) or Command (greater)?
The spell effect is based on an area (.....no two of which can be more than 30 ft apart)...
Where widen spell feat ........."any numeric measurement of the spell's area increases by 100%"

pallandrome

First Post
I think of it as an exclusive, rather than inclusive, area. A property of poorly wording one's spells, I suppose. But I don't see how a widened Mass Enlarge Person would be in any way broken for the level, so I would most certainly allow it.

Zaister

Explorer
The Widen Spell feat specifically states: "You can alter a burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped spell to increase its area." So unless, the area of a spell is described as a burst, spread, line, emanation, or spread, you cannot apply the feat. The spells you mentioned usually don't even have an area effect, but targets.

As an aside, I still wonder what a widened line area is supposed to be.

moritheil

First Post
Zaister said:
As an aside, I still wonder what a widened line area is supposed to be.

You need not wonder: the line is wider as well as longer. (If its initial dimensions are 5' x 120', widened, it should be 10' x 240'.)

IanB

First Post
moritheil said:
You need not wonder: the line is wider as well as longer. (If its initial dimensions are 5' x 120', widened, it should be 10' x 240'.)

This is incorrect; line spells do not have a width, just a length. Widening a line will not change the method you use to determine which squares are affected, just the length of the line.

Zaister

Explorer
Still, it doesn't seem to me to make sense to widen a Lightning Bolt, for example. Lightning Bolt has a range of 120 ft. and originates from the caster. Even if the Widen Spell feat doubles the length of the line, the spell still can't affect anything beyond its range, so this seems rather pointless, and in effect the bolt remains quite the same.

frankthedm

First Post
Zaister said:
Still, it doesn't seem to me to make sense to widen a Lightning Bolt, for example. Lightning Bolt has a range of 120 ft. and originates from the caster. Even if the Widen Spell feat doubles the length of the line, the spell still can't affect anything beyond its range, so this seems rather pointless, and in effect the bolt remains quite the same.
Very good catch.

Remove ads